Morris Keel Length

Scott Rowe

Random Adventurer
I'm putting the keel back on my ca 1915 17 foot Morris and it appears that it may have lost some length. It measures 14 ft. 6 1/4 inches and appears to be short by one rib interval. Anyone have this measurement and a pic of the stem band to keel transition would be helpful as well. It seems like the universe doesn't want me to finish this boat, every step is a problem. Thanks!

Scott: My keel is 14 ft. 3 in. The boat didn't come with a stem band. I can get you the outside measurements of the outer stems.

Paul, thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that my boat doesn't have an outside stem. So I'm not sure how I would interpret your outer stem measurement. But if I took three inches off my keel it would match yours and the keel would be symmetrical i.e. end on the same rib at the stern and bow. Maybe my keel wasn't original. It looked like it was as it had lots of wear.

The reason that I mentioned the outer stems is that he keel mounts with the ends in contact with, but not fastened to, the bottom ends of the outer stems.
Without outer stems I'm not sure what the shape of the keel would be, or how stem bands would be fitted.

Update. I was able to email an expert on this keel length issue. His keel on a bit older boat but same type A, had an original keel that was about a foot from the ends of the canoe. So that would make the keel about fifteen feet on seventeen ft boat. Also, his keel was captured by two rivets, but my canoe has (like most pics I've seen) an additional rivet at the rib where the stem is anchored . So I'm thinking three rivets would capture my keel near the stem and bow. This effort is in attempt to get a smooth transition of the stem band to the keel without any gaps.

Back