"Like it grew there"

Ron Bedard

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Hello,

Hung the canoe between two arbor vitaes today and got the canvas on. These trees might be the same species as supplied the planking originally. I've heard them called white cedar sometimes. Used stainless 1/2" staples, and paintable caulking at the stems and overlaps. I had a pair of canvas pliers from the upholstering drawer.
Got it stretched lengthwise, then started on one side middle, and moved from side to side till it was time to put it back into the slings for working on the stems. That work is a bit fussy, but the results look great.
I've given it a saturating application of wood preservative which should dry before the filler arrives. Will use Robson's mastic as per the folks at Orca.
I've watched some videos of the mastic application, and will have a helper on standby since I'm concerned that the stuff will set up more quickly than I'd like.
I'm going to check out Rustoleum's green color to see if we like it for the finish coats. Has anyone used that product? There's a West Marine in town, but hull paint from those guys is like coating in gold.
I'll check back in after the filling phase.
I'd attach a few photos, but the site won't accept them at the size my phone affords.

I just finished restoring a Rushton Indian with canvas and I used the rust oleum forest green and am very pleased with the results, both the the and ease of application.

I painted our Adirondack chairs with that same paint a few seasons ago and they’re still looking pretty good. I’m leaning that way.

Back