Just a reminder...

Roger Young

display sample collector
Just a reminder... WCHA is planning a major showing of antique factory display sample canoe models for this year's Assembly, at Paul Smiths, NY. The exhibit is scheduled for Friday morning, July 15th at 9:00 am. It will be held on this one day only. Please, if you have a factory display sample (aka 'salesman's sample'), be prepared to bring it to Assembly. Please let either Benson Gray or myself know, so that we can try to organize in advance. Already this is shaping up to be a wonderful event, the likes of which probably has never before occurred - - to have so many different samples from competing manufacturers together in one room for comparative examination is unusual in itself. We expect to have authentic examples by Ontario Canoe, Peterborough, Chestnut, Rice Lake, J S Stephenson, Old Town, E M White, A E Wickett, Carleton, Kennebec, etc., and hopefully many more. We know that other makes are out there; please come and join us. Do you have or know of a Thompson, Racine, Morris, Rushton? We are very happy to have more than one example by any one maker to display, so don't be shy; bring yours along. Kennebec is the 'theme brand' for this year's Assembly, so samples by that maker are most welcome. I hope to borrow a couple of items from the Canadian Canoe Museum, through their kind cooperation. If anyone has a unique 'sample' paddle by these makers, please include that, as well. Let's make this the best exhibit of display models ever!! Thanks.

Very cool. These old samples are pure art documenting a time in history that I truly love. A mix of scale work, canoes, and history, what could be better. Thanks Roger, this inspires me in my work.

Can someone please take lot's of photos of this display once it's set up. I'd love to see it in person but no chance of that so great documentary photos would be the next best thing. :cool:

Not to worry... One of the things we are planning to do is to document each of the samples exhibited (owner, any known background info/history, etc.), and to photograph them, individually and as a group. If we do this properly, there is the potential to eventually publish a book, which could become a fundraiser for WCHA and the canoe museums who are assisting. It will mean a lot of work, and will require much cooperation, both at the event and later. But, if we can and do 'pull it off', there could also be added benefits for those participating. Inclusion in our documentary/photo records will enhance the authenticity and provenance of the samples concerned; if a book results, it will certainly augment the 'collector value' of those items included therein. Thus, there is a great incentive for all sample owners to bring your model for inclusion in our display. I should add that we have been inviting any and all persons who are known to have, or previously had, a 'display sample' to join us on Friday, July 15th. You do not need to be a current WCHA member to participate, although we will certainly hope that you'll have so much fun meeting our 'gang', and will want to sign up for continuing benefits. So, come and join us; let us know your plans. Thanks. Roger

YES, Roger........and a Hip Hip Hurrah for the passion you have for these extraordinary examples. YES, for a well done Publication and a scholarly rendition. I wish I had an example to share ! Hey, maybe I should go on the HUNT !... ( like I need another passion ) Dave

Back