Jib Pole?

Treewater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
Can anyone identify a six foot pole that came with a 1939 O.T. sailing rig? It has hooks on both ends and on a sloop rig would be used to hold the jib sail out when running with the wind. Much as I know, canoes seldom use jib sails since cimbing forward to set the jib is so difficult.

Sailing canoes did occasionally have jibs as shown in the pictures below so your pole may have been for one. The last image has a note on the back indicating that it was the "fastest in its class in the U. S." in 1934.

Benson

Attachments

• KODAK-B.jpg
    KODAK-B.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 526
  • WINDIES1.jpg
    WINDIES1.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 542
  • OWLS-1.jpg
    OWLS-1.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:
That's it

Thanks Benson, that center picture seems to show the jib pole. I am curious why it is used since the only time I've had to use one is with the main on one side and the jib the other. this is sailing downwind. Apparently the jib cannot be tied off properly in a canoe and thus the pole. Lots of tall sail in that picture. Thanks again.
Tim

The jib in the photo is not poled out. It's a club-footed jib where the jib boom is attached to the sail and used all the time. The result, when using a non-overlapping jib, is a sail that is self-tending (free to swing from side to side as the boat tacks and tack itself without the sailor having to touch the jib sheet). I suppose your pole could possibly be used similarly, but it would be somewhat unusual to equip such a pole with hooks on it's ends. Usually they would simply have holes in their ends where the jib tack and clew corners would be lashed to the pole. This would also allow for a bit of draft adjustment by adjusting the lashings if it was a loose-footed system (sail not laced to the boom, but just connected to it at the corners).

It could, but it's kind of overkill when the job can be done with more simple stuff. I've come to believe that just about anything is possible in terms of people installing unusual rigging and hardware on canoes, so who knows? The other thing worth investigating is whether or not the pole really matches the other parts of the rig. I've seen numerous old sailing rigs offered for sale where old parts were included that obviously came from something else - as if the owner just went into the boathouse and grabbed anything that looked like it might have originally been part of the canoe sailing rig. It wouldn't be particularly unusual to by an old lateen rig, for example, and find that somebody unknowingly tossed in a whisker pole from an old sailing dinghy that they also once owned.

Poling out the jib and/or sailing wing-and-wing with a canoe most likely aren't going to be very efficient. You can almost always generate both a lot more speed and get to the destination faster (even though you sail a greater distance) by heading up a bit and broad reaching, rather than sailing downwind.

Truly one finds a mishmash of events in the life of a canoe.Some boats are almost unrecognizable;thwarts,seats,oddball canoe sailing parts and reto devices similar to my new design for a wheel.
Brainstorm solutions are sometimes not the most efficent but somehow accomplish the intended purpose.
Likely enough tis a Spare Part.I agree.
John

I'll check further

It still strikes me as a jib pole. I will check further the origins of the canoe and the material of the pole. Whisker pole is the other name I have heard. They are useful for transiting canals and channels. Years ago in a small sloop I used it in Washington, between Lake Union and Lake Washington. The man-made cut was narrow and choppy and with a light west breeze you put out the main and jib to run the concrete-walled cut. Other traffic prevented tacking, and created wakes. Very touchy, The jib pole was a God send.
Thanks for all the input. I will keep checking this.
Tim

Back