It's done!!

JClearwater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
At long last it's done. 1923 Old Town HW, 18' with sponsons. The canvas was still good so I elected not to re-canvas or refinish the inside. Sanded the outside and painted. Sanded the gunwales and varnished, refinished the thwarts and seats. Refinished the sail rig. I made a mast thwart out of cherry. The leeboard bracket that came with the rig was not made for a canoe with sponsons so I had to make a longer board for that. I rebuilt the rudder, it was broken in two pieces. New sail from Doug Fowler.

Attached are pictures of the canoe "lawn sailing." I rigged it up as per Todd's book but if anyone thinks I should change something let me know. I took it out on a samll local lake yesterday but there was almost no wind. I circled the lake a couple of times and even managed to get back to the dock.

I'll have it a Keuka next month.

Peace,
Jim

Attachments

• Sail Canoe 002.jpg
    Sail Canoe 002.jpg
    559.6 KB · Views: 725
  • Sail Canoe 003.jpg
    Sail Canoe 003.jpg
    919.7 KB · Views: 712
  • Sail Canoe 004.jpg
    Sail Canoe 004.jpg
    670.8 KB · Views: 702
  • Sail Canoe 005.jpg
    Sail Canoe 005.jpg
    569.9 KB · Views: 684
Beautiful boat! A good job well done. Shame I won't get to see it at Assembly!

Since you asked, I think that the only thing I'd do with the sheet is have it run through a block attached to the center of the leeboard bracket. I do it on mine and it keeps the sheet at hand giving you more control and a bit more mechanical advantage over the sail. I also sheet to a cam cleat so I don't have to hold it all the time, and the cam cleat allows me to free it quickly. Don't forget your stop knot!

Last edited:
Thank you

Thank you everyone for you kind comments. Yes, I will be at Keuka unless the unexpected comes up.

Jim

Back