hull paint

erbinsky

Canoeist/Builder
I'm building a 14 ft. stitch and glue skiff , covered in fiberglass and west system that I plan to leave in the water all summer...Looking for suggestions for hull paint...I've used 2 part poltuerethane on a S&G canoe with good results but hard to work with,...also have used Easypox from Petit , easier to work with but both are topside paints. Primer or no primer?...Thanks Jeff

Easypoxy, Brightside and most other one-part enamels will usually peel within a week or two if you leave them in the water. A two-part LPU would be a better choice. properly sanded WEST Epoxy doesn't need primer and unless you have a lot of small surface imperfections that you need the primer to fill, it's not going to add anything to the project except more work and expense.

Hi guys, As for painting for under water, I would suggest going with an epoxy two part system barrior coat applying at least two sprayed coats then apply a two part epoxy paint. I have used Algrip a two part urathane above the water line for over fifteen years plus and still looks great, but not below as it will blister. Grover Griffin

Back