Homebuilt C1 canoe anybody?

bradpareis

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Watchng the Olympics with great interest over the past weeks has lead to my discovery of the C1 sprint boats. Of course, living in a small Ontario backwater means there's virtually no way for me to get my hands on one of these boats to teach myself how to paddle one. Has anybody out there concieved plans for a stitch & glue plywood or stripper boat along these lines? Are there any plans available? So far my internet searches haven't turned up anything outside of a picture of a Bear Mountain custom boat.

Too wide. Though with that waterline beam, you could probably remove the wings (which do nothing other than make it conform to the USCA minimum beam requirements for marathon boats) and modify the sheer line and stem profiles to wind up with what might be a servicable and pretty stable recreational sprint trainer that was more similar to this sort of thing.

http://www.simonriversports.ca/english/products/canoes/vela.html

You could probably do something similar with sea kayak plans, with the stations repositioned to generate the Swede-form bottom shape and simply add vertical sides where needed. It might even be possible to do it stitch and glue, starting with the lines for a sea kayak with the proper beam, but it looks like some design work, lofting and/or model making is going to be required, one way or another.

Thanks Benson for the Struer link, some of those boats from the 50's and 60's are very pure and clean. The lines plans are really not that bad, except that there's no indication of scale, which makes any development from them somewhat problematic. Also, I've never tackled anything of the like, or more complicated than dinghy restoration. The Bear Mountain boat is, as Todd said, too beamy, and really designed for marathon racing....but if I remember right, wasn't there a plan for a racing type boat in one of the early strip building monographs? Does anyone recall that one.....?

All i know is i'm glad i tried one at Killbear , it cured me of wanting one. I got in 3 paddle strokes before turning over, and my friend laughed and made various remarks about my size and weight until he got in and pulled off 4 before going over. Quite the machines....:cool:

Back