Gunwales for my first build.

GusJones

Hello all,
I'm currently finishing my first wood strip build on a 16 footer. I am seeking some advice or help on where to get some gunwales for it. Would it be better to build them or just buy a set. Thoughts on this subject.

Thanks you
Gus

Thread drift

It would help to know where you are located.

I had the same thought when I read this post. I was considering sending Dan a note suggesting that all posts should include the state where the member or guest lives. It's more important than how many posts someone has made.
Nearby members can offer more relevant replies.
Most canoes do not wander far from where they were once shipped so knowing where the canoe is presently can also help narrow a search and identify a boat.
I am only advocating adding the state where someone lives....NSA can ferret out the rest.

I was considering sending Dan a note suggesting that all posts should include the state where the member or guest lives. It's more important than how many posts someone has made.

Your location will be shown (like yours and mine) if that information has been entered by the person. Many people don't bother which does make things like this more difficult.

Gunwales are very difficult to ship in one piece so you will probably want to make them yourself.

Benson

Last edited:
With a most strip built canoes, there is not a great amount of rise in the shear immediately before the termination at the stem. It's likely that you won't need to steam them if that's the case.
Call around for some long hardwood lumber. If you can't find 17' stock, you may need to scarf joint a couple of shorter lengths. Or check the builder/restorer page on this site, and either buy stock or have them mill up a pair.

Back