Grand Lake Stream Canoes

GrandLakerMitch

Hunter/Gatherer
Hey guys, I just purchased a 20' Grand Laker built by Bill Shamel of Grand Lake Stream, ME. Anyway, I'm trying to learn some of the history of the auspicious "Grand Laker's" and the original builders of that area.

Is there anyone here that has decent knowledge of the original moulds/builders/history of the Grand Lake Stream canoe? I would love to share a few emails or messages to learn as much as I can about them and their rich history. Thanks alot. Pics of my new canoe to follow!

MITCH

Welcome, Mitch

I recall a few past discussions, here in Forums, of Grand Laker canoes. Until somebody who knows something jumps in to reply, you might find some information by using the "search" function above--- just click on Search and plug in "Grand Laker" or the builder's name, or whatever you're curious about, and some past discussions may appear.

Looking forward to pictures.
Kathy

just a few photos of my newest canoe upon delivery! Can't wait to get her on the water.

MITCH

Attachments

• Grand Laker Photos 004.jpg
    Grand Laker Photos 004.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,594
  • Grand Laker Photos 002.jpg
    Grand Laker Photos 002.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,033
  • IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,762
Lakers

Bill Shammel is probably the local historian
I believe that he builds of the family form which would be the "pop Moore form"
other builders past and present
sprague
various Wheaton brothers
The Bailey Brothers
for a few there are others

F Harvey Bowley said:
Bill Shammel is probably the local historian
I believe that he builds of the family form which would be the "pop Moore form"
other builders past and present
sprague
various Wheaton brothers
The Bailey Brothers
for a few there are others

Kinda ironic that Bill is from Texas and is the local historian. :D

He's a nice guy and very knowledgeable about the boats and the craft. I'm sure he would be one of the people that I'd talk to.

WoodenBoat had an article about the Grand Laker a few years back. Probably another good source for information.

Woodenboat Archives

That would be very interesting to have. Does anyone know of any way to get ahold of that issue? I tried to find the archives on their website, but a search for "grand laker" only came up with the article/author. Thanks.

MITCH

A search of their index should turn up Title:Issue:page

For the article you're looking for issue #121. Most issues are available as either hardcopy or PDF downloads at the WoodenBoat Store.

Issue #121 hard copy

Issue #121 digital download

BTW - Bill was in the Coast Guard and built boats with Pop Moore for many years before Pop retired and Bill took on the business. IIRC, Bill is married to Pop's daughter.

Back