Gifford Pinchot's canoe

JClearwater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
Jean and I visited the family home of Gifford Pinchot in Milford, PA last week, Gifford Pinchot was a noted forester and conservationest and is credited with starting the US Forest Service. His family mansion is a National Historic Site. On display is his Old Town canoe. He purchased it directly from Old Town in 1922. It is a 15 ft., 50# model, CS grade and is in rather good shape. Attached are a couple of pictures.

As an aside there is scheduled a WCHA four-chapter mini-assembly planned for October 8 & 9 at Gifford Pinchot State Park which is located south of Harrisburg, PA. I'm sure someone will post details about it later.

Jim C.

Attachments

• IMG_2265.JPG
    IMG_2265.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG_2267.JPG
    IMG_2267.JPG
    286.2 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_2269.JPG
    IMG_2269.JPG
    262 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG_2703.jpg
    IMG_2703.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 491
I read the book called The Big Burn".... Great story about Gifford Pinchot and the US Forest Service and Teddy Roosevelt.

Just finished that book myself. Also one called Eruption about Mt. St Helens. Gifford Pinchot National was next door. Sadly the forest named after him was logged off years ago!

jim, they had me look at that canoe before it went on display. They wanted to know what it was and what it would cost to restore it. Grey Towers is about 15 minutes from my shop. After some back and forth they decided they wanted preservation not restoration. I met the man who preserved it. Nice guy, a company from Warren county NJ. He preserves artifacts for museums. Not sure what he did to it, but it looks good. Dave

Back