Forms

hanna

Is there a market for canvas covered canoe and all wood canoe forms for sale?
Carol Hanna from old Alder Creek Boat Works

Forms change hands from time to time. Forms of the more known builders are the most desirable, not necessarily because they are better but because they have more widly known provenance. The forms from White, Chestnut etc. spawned businesses that continue to this day.
Alder Creek boats are well regarded so the forms should attract interest, possibly regionally focused but you never know.
One nice thing about this forum and the associated classifieds are that they reach a focused audience of enthusiasts.....If it were me I'd consider listing them here.
Setting a price on a form can be a bit tricky...many of the builders that might want a form are also capable of making one themselves. Setting a high price on a form is a sure way to stall selling it...So, before you list it you need to decide, are you trying to move it to someone that will use it or are you more interested in maximizing the revenue from a sale? That may help you to decide how much to ask for. Entertaining fair offers is an alternative.
In the past year I have seen several forms offered on Craigslist. They sold very slowly there, even with (what I thought) were fair prices.

Perhaps one of the professional builders that participate here can provide better advice about valuation.

Thank you for your input. it goes along with my thoughts on the matter. Seeing old canoe designs that we offered endure is much more important than as you say - maximizing the revenue from a sale.

Dear Carol -- I just found WCHA this past weekend. Mike restored our 1928 Old Town canoe a year or two before he died. I second the idea of offering the forms here. There was a post on here from 2010 looking to make contact with you, and asking about the forms. Hope you've already been successful at selling them but if not, here's the link to the 2010 post: http://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/alder-creek-boat-works.5459/

Back