eBay listing 150420100646

Roger Young

display sample collector
While going through some eBay listings yesterday, I noticed one for "an original Old Town canoe", no other info given. Photos, while not showing all that much, looked reasonably nice, and the canoe looked to be fairly early. I thought I'd ask for the serial # and measurements, figuring others might also be intrigued.

The seller has responded that the canoe is 18' in length and comes with two original paddles. He gave me the # 139687, which he says is stamped in a "forward rib", and that the canoe was originally purchased in Whitehall, MI. The positioning seems strange for OT, and the numbers don't match the OT build records which relate to a 25' War Canoe, sold on 15 July 1944 to Camp Wyomissing, East Stroudsburg, PA. It was CS grade with keel, OSS, floor rack, originally painted Fire Red.

Thought I'd print this for anyone else who may be thinking of checking out the serial #. In the meantime, I'm also looking to see whether there is something else that fits. Anyone got any other ideas as to maker/model?

A little further digging now suggests to me this could be 139681, a 17' HW model, with keel, OSS and floor rack, originally painted Dark Green, delivered 24 July 1944 to Detroit, MI., all of which appears to fit more closely with the item offered.

Roger

Last edited:
Roger,

Is there an OTCA witha close S/N?

It appears like that canoe has the longer 20" deck commonly seen on OTCA's.

Dan

Oh, what does OSS mean, sponsons?

Dan:

Must say the decks puzzled me too in relation to what the records were giving me. However, with a bit more number juggling, and your help, we may just have found a good fit. # 139667 was issued to an 18' AA grade OTCA model with open mahogany gunwales, keel, OSS (outside stems), painted Dark Red and shipped to Gregory Boat Co., Detroit, on 13 July 1944. This is better, it would seem. I'll pass it along to the seller.

Roger

Attachments

• New Image.GIF
    New Image.GIF
    65.3 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
That looks promising, all you have to do is confirm the number with the seller.

And mistaking an 8 for a 6 seems easy to do.

Wish I had some money to play with, I'd like a AA OTCA, would prefer a 17 ft but....

A nice canoe for somebody.

Dan

Before I'd assign that record to the canoe, I'd need the seller to send a picture of the s/n, because he may be confused about its location... and I'd like more pictures. RacineWis have the s/n on the rib... I can't offhand remember who else did that though. Would like to see the profile.

Detroit is waaaaay across the state from the place where the seller says the canoe was shipped.

Kathy

I have advised the seller that the # as provided by him does not relate to an 18' OT in that company's build records, but rather a 25' War canoe. I suggested that he double-check the last two digits, in particular, on the off chance that it could be either of the other seemingly close matches found, particularly the OTCA. Also suggested that he post more photos showing profile and more of the inside of the canoe. So far, no further response.

At least the serial # discrepancy as regards possible OT origin has been flagged here for any who might be following the sale. Figured someone would be asking about it sooner or later.

Kathy, I agree that it needs much more confirmation to be certain.

Hi Roger,

It appears to match the record you found in many ways... and the seller is possibly confused about rib-versus-stem for the s/n placement. I *think* I see diamond head bolts...

Hi Kathy,

That canoe could be in Detroit and it wouldn't matter. Living here just costs a lot of money.

Though I have to confess that there are a few canoes that I'd find the money for if I came across them. But an OT isn't one of them. Already got plenty of OT's.

You and Denis aren't by chance planning a trip south this weekend are you?

Dan

Dan,
Though we would like to go down state to the QWS it just won't work out. Too much money. We've got to save to go to the assembly. Also I hate driving long distances this time of year. Though it may be nice in the Southern half of Lower Michigan there is a lot of potentially bad driving between here and there. Done that too many times in the past already. Hope to make it someday though.
Denis

Turns out this is # 139667 after all. The seller has just posted a photo of the serial # and better pics showing the inside of the canoe. Looks fairly nice. NOTE: the earlier listing with the incorrect info seems to have been canceled and the canoe is now re-listed as 150420640712. Photos are also much improved.

Roger

Last edited:
It looks to me

that both bow and stern seats have been replaced. Does not look like mahogany to me. The center seat is an obvious addition attached with bolts between the inwale and outwale. Nice that holes were not drilled through the inwale to attach it. I wonder if the seller still has the original seats. Does look like a decent canoe dispite the seats. Too far away for me.

Jim C.

Back