E. M. White catalogs?

normsims

Morris canoe fan
In Memoriam
Does anyone know of a source for E.M. White catalogs for boats other than canoes? I have the catalogs for his canoes, but White built a lot of other boats including skiffs. Any sources?

Norm

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 716
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 577
  • page-15.gif
    page-15.gif
    108.7 KB · Views: 682
  • page-16.gif
    page-16.gif
    85.2 KB · Views: 681
Last edited:
I don't recall ever seeing a Sebago skiff mentioned in any White catalog but that collection has five catalogs from the Sebago Boat and Canoe Company which offered a variety of small boats. One of the early boats from this company is shown at http://www.mainememory.net/artifact/18171/ in the Sebago Historical Society collection.

Benson

Last edited:
Sebago Skiff

Benson turned out to be exactly correct, as usual. The boat is a 16-foot smooth lapstrake Sebago skiff built in East Sebago, Maine, by Curtis Sanborn and Carlton Martin somewhere between 1890 and 1920. It's related to a lot of Northeastern skiffs generally named after bodies of water such as the St. Lawrence skiff, Chesapeake Bay skiff, Lake George skiff, Rangeley Lake skiff, and also to the double-end canoes made by Old Town and White. Sebago is a big lake in Maine.

Kevin Martin restored the skiff--it didn't need much work--and last weekend I launched it on the Connecticut River. It's a lovely boat on the water, stable, and takes waves well. I'll attach a picture of how it looked before Kevin worked on it, and a couple shots from its first day back on the water.

Norm

Attachments

• Beginning.jpg
    Beginning.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 544
  • Sebago Skiff 1 800.jpg
    Sebago Skiff 1 800.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 572
  • Sebago Skiff 2 800.jpg
    Sebago Skiff 2 800.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 588
  • Norm 800.jpg