Denis Kallery

Take care of yourself, Kathy. We have lost another very special canoe person and a remarkable human being.

Thinking of you here, very near Walden.

Fitz

Kathy, Denis is truly at peace now and not suffering any longer. You will continue to be in our prayers as well as Denis's family. He will certainly be missed. RIP Denis.

Mike and Debbie

Kathy,

I am sorry to hear that Denis passed. The world is truly a better place for him having been here. We must always keep in mind that we are not humans beings with a short spiritual existence, we are spiritual beings with a short human existence - death is not the end, we merely change form. We move from life to life. May you find peace. Thoughts and prayers for you and extended family.

Peace,
Jim Clearwater

Kathy,

Sad news but inevitable news.
Lori and I both send our best wishes to you.
Dennis generosity will be remembered.

Mike

Kathy please accept our deepest sympathies to you and his family. We will miss Denis greatly--paddle happily dear friend

I hope to become half the man Denis was.
Too sad.
The Penn Yan (AKA - The Denis Kallery) has taken on a new life. Every once of varnish applied. Every coat of paint rolled on, the rebuilding of the seats, the outer stems and the gunnels will be completed with clear thoughts of Denis Kallery.

Howard and Amy

I thank you all so very much-- The people who are the WCHA meant a great deal to Denis and are a sustaining force to me as well. I have printed-out all the postings here and shared them with his family, and I cannot find words to express how much this means.

Today, I put-together a collection of pictures and video footage to be shown at the reception of his memorial service... and the interesting (but not surprising) thing is that most of the pictures are of Denis in a canoe or working on a canoe. Perhaps that's because he didn't hide from the camera when there was a possibility that I was actually taking a picture of the canoe, and not of him... but I truly think it's because-- camera-shy as he was-- he didn't mind being photographed near canoes.

Before Denis became so sick that his energies had to turn inward, we planned a trip to Veazie, Maine, to do more research on Bert and Charlie Morris and their canoes. I promised Denis I'd follow-up on this plan... and I need everyone else to know that too. There's still work to be done!

I'll post his "official obituary" so that All will know these details of Denis's life-- but I think you know the most important things about him, simply from knowing he was part of this organization.

Kathy

GREEN GARDEN – Denis Michael Kallery, age 69, of 101 County Road BX, Green Garden Location, passed Tuesday morning, July 3, 2012, at his home, in the loving care of his friends, family, and Upper Peninsula Home Health and Hospice.

Born January 29, 1943 in Detroit, a son of Louis and Ethel (Kendy) Kallery, Denis was raised in Dearborn and graduated in 1961 from Edsel Ford High School. He moved to Marquette when he attended Northern Michigan University, receiving a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology. Following graduation, he worked on a study of wolf behavior in the Upper Peninsula. Denis was employed for over 15 years as a biologist with the US Fish and Wildlife Service and for over 20 years he ran his own business as a fine craftsman. Denis especially enjoyed restoring log homes and wooden antique canoes.

His talents and interests extended to completely rebuilding his log home, a life-long love of nature and animals, and treasuring time spent with his children and close friends. Denis was a caring, honest, gentle, loving person who lived his life according to the tenets of the Golden Rule. He was a very active member of the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association. Denis' vision and creativity have resulted in a permanent log structure display and a wooden canoe exhibit at the Marquette Regional History Center.

Denis is survived by his partner, Kathryn Klos; his children, Chelsea Kallery, Wendy (Michael Lesiak) Kallery, and Jeffrey (Wendy) Kallery; grandsons, Dylan and Brenden Kallery; his brother, Louis Kallery; and several nieces and nephews.

A memorial service is scheduled for Saturday, July 7 at 2:00 pm outside of Bayshore Veterinary Clinic, 2361 U.S. Highway 41, Marquette, MI and a reception will immediately follow at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation, 1510 M-28 E, Marquette, MI.

The family wishes to offer sincere gratitude to all friends, family, and organizations who offered gentle kindness and support in the final years of his journey. Thoughts, prayers, and helpful hands assured Denis that he was greatly loved and appreciated. He could not have received better care anywhere than that which was provided by the Marquette General Health System, with special thanks to Dr. Amy Weise, Steve Gauldoni, and the nurses in the Marquette General Cancer Center. Thanks as well to the local hospice organizations (including volunteers Becky and Dale) and to the Unitarian Universalist Congregation.

Donations in honor of Denis may be made to Wooden Canoe Heritage Association, P.O. Box 117, Tamworth NH 03886 or Upper Peninsula Animal Welfare Shelter, P.O. Box 968, Marquette, MI 49855, upaws.org.

The Swanson-Lundquist Funeral Home is serving the family, where condolences may be expressed online at www.swansonlundquistfuneralhome.com

Kathy:
My sincerest condolences. I so enjoyed meeting you and Denis at the Assembly in Peterborough, back in 2008. You both were so very nice, so truly friendly, that I knew signing up for my own WCHA membership was an absolute must. You inspired me, and I have enjoyed our Forum chats ever since. Terribly sad to lose such a positive force. Denis will be missed but his spirit will carry many of us onward. RIP.
Roger

Condolences, Kathyn. Paddle and remember the good times, for Denis will be with you on the water.

At Denis's memorial service today, his daughter Wendy shared some words of Sigurd Olson's, which Denis pointed out to her some months ago:

"I am satisfied with a simpler solution, which brings more comfort and peace to me than old beliefs no matter how revered and ancient their origins may be: the memories of those I cannot forget, the joy they have given, and the impact they have had. Certainly they are gone physically and “dust to dust” is no empty phrase, but the real truth in what they were and did lives on, each person leaving his own evidence of his time on earth. It is like a stone thrown into a calm pool, its ripples spreading wider and wider, possibly into infinity."

And so, he will ripple on...

Kathy – the ripples from Denis’s life touched many – through his work with the museums, with the WCHA, and directly with his friendliness and generosity. He will not be forgotten.

Greg and Deborah

Ken hoisted the WCHA flag at Denis's memorial service-- another perfect statement.

Thank you all.

Kathy

Half Mast for Denis

I thought the reading in the memorial pamphlet at the reception was another perfect statement. Hope it is ok that I share here:
"Remember Me
To the living, I am gone. To the sorrowful, I will never return. To the angry, I was cheated.
But to the happy, I am at peace. And to the faithful, I have never left.
I cannot speak, but I can listen. I cannot be seen, but I can be heard.
So as you stand upon a shore gazing at the beautiful sea - Remember Me
As you look in awe at a mighty forest and it grand majestry - Remember Me
Remember me in your heart, your thoughts, and your memories of the times we cried, the times we laughed, for if you think of me, I will never be gone."

It helps keep me happy and faithful.

Attachments

• half mast DK.jpg
    half mast DK.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 426
Ken,
Thank you for posting, the words touched my heart deeply! I will always remember that service, and the words that were spoken
in memory of a great friend.
......Dave

"When the fog clears from the lake, our canoes shall reach the island where we shall dwell forever" -Chief Bemassikeh

Back