Delaware Valley Chapter Mini-assembly

Jim Wilson

WCHA Member
October 8th and 9th, the Delaware Valley Chapter will be holding it's 6th Annual Mini-Assembly. The event is open to all. We have quite a few things scheduled, so it should be a great weekend.

As of now, we plan on doing restoration work on at least 3 different canoes. It could be anything from rib replacement to canvasing. Feel free to lend a hand if you stop by. (Or we can just hang around swapping lies.)

There will also be paddle carving and seat caning demonstrations if you are so inclined.

As always, we will have our "old timer's" campsite set up with camp cooking. George's dutch oven desserts alone are worth a visit.

We are never sure who will pop in or what will happen. We have even had impromptu freestyle lessons in the past.

These wvents will be taking place from 10AM to 3PM on Saturday and Sunday.

All this will be happening at the Atsion Lake Recreation Area in the Wharton State Forest of New Jersey. This is in the Pine Barrens, and if you have never been there, it is unlike anything you have ever thought of in New Jersey!

Paddling opportunities abound in this area. You can paddle right there on Atsion Lake. If you are up for some pretty little streams to paddle, you are within a few minutes of the Mullica, Wading, Oswego and Batsto Rivers. All of which are well worth paddling.

Come for the day or stay for the weekend. Camping is available at Atsion Lake so you can paddle from your campsite right over to the demo area across the lake. Some of us will be camping Friday and Saturday nights, and you are welcome to join us. It's always a good time.

Atsion Lake Recreation Area is located east of Hammonton on Route 206 in Atsion, NJ. Picnic areas and restrooms are available right there.

Want more info? Contact:
Richard Greene: rgreene@vfgloves.com
Al Bratton: canoeal@aol.com

For directions and campsites see:
www.state.nj.us/dep/parksand forests/wharton.html

I've canoed at Atsion; neat little lake. I'll have to check w/ my scheduler...I don't know if she has any plans for that weekend.

Back