Carleton Specs

rbandy

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I found a nice long deck, sponsoned Carleton with a sailing rig. I'd love to see the canoe card for her. # 17560.
Thanks,
DSC_0199.jpgReid

Hello Reid--

Looks nice! Carlton 17560 is an 18 foot Indian Princess (top) grade Carlton model canoe with 30" mahogany decks, open mahogany gunwales, mahogany thwarts and seat frames, a keel and sponsons. It was originally white with a gold stripe with turned-down ends, edged in blue. It was shipped to Baltimore, MD, on April 2, 1923. No mention of a sail rig, but it could have been added at the dealership or another time.Image of the scan of this record is attached below-- click on it to get a larger image.

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Kathy

Attachments

• carl17560.jpg
    carl17560.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 276
Morning Kathy and thanks so much.

I have the CD's coming from Dan Miller but in the mean time was wondering what the "turned down", ends look like in the striping?
Any help would be appreciated.

Reid

Don't grade me on this reply. I couldn't find a picture, so I drew one... this is my interpretation, but someone may have a better example.

Kathy

Attachments

• OT turned down ends.JPG
    OT turned down ends.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 286
I have the CD's coming from Dan Miller but in the mean time was wondering what the "turned down", ends look like in the striping?
Any help would be appreciated.

Reid

The "turned down" ends go a bit further than Kathy's drawing. The image at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/designs/design27.gif is probably similar to the original look of your canoe and the image at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/designs/design39.gif confirms the description of turned down ends. Good luck with the restoration.

Benson

I get a D- on that one. But "turned down" in my mind should be something less than "Greek key"... I would have called those ends "drapery" or "swirling-to-the-bottom". Ah well, this is why the forum-format works best! We all learn together.

DSC_0202.jpgI like "Drapery", and also "Swirling to the bottom", much better. Probably had to shorten it to meet administrative time constraints....You should still get an "A", in my book. Thank you Benson. This one is quite the charmer, Very low, soft shearline and ends that are 26 inches tall....

Thanks all, Reid

DSC_0213.jpgBeing new to long decks, I have a question or two. I hope this is the proper place to ask.
The decks on this canoe have brass accents. The coaming is brass sheet and the king plank is brass. There is no recess in the inwale to accept a coaming. These pieces are in nice condition. Does anyone know if these are original items?
I'm inclined to use them again unless I learn otherwise...There are also scarf joints in the outwhales. Should I save those or simply re rail?DSC_0208.jpg

Reid

That looks more like a Finger Joint than a scarf. A Finger joint would indicate some rather decent jigs and shapers and mean factory. There were photos a year or so ago of an Old Town with a similar joint in the outwale. A finger joint is much stronger than a simple scarf as you have the interlocking fingers. A scarfed finger joint would be even more complicated and stronger.

Hi Reid-- I haven't seen metal coaming or seam covering before, so this may be someone's fix. The only brass accents I'm familiar with are things like flag holders and painter rings, and various interesting devices on courting canoes designed to shine light or play music or hold a canopy.

Thanks Jan, Hi Katherine.
I think as long as the boat is put together in a well thought out (professional) manor and the workmanship is conducive with the rest of the boat I will try to preserve whats there. This ones just gonna have some bling and some scarfed up finger joints......Maybe I'll get to have some fun with the paint job?

Thanks again,

Reid

I agree Kathy. I've been painting cars since I was a kid. Its really the part I like the most. All the hard work is always justified with a good "icing on the cake". I'm representing the colors with a little more zing than they probably had way back when. But I believe they were meant to show off as evidenced by the fancy stuff they were adorned with. Funny to think of a man trying to impress his lady with a fancy canoe. I had fun with these two Old Towns last week. I've been lucky so far and only have two boats that were originally Dark Green.

HPIM5209.jpg

I tried painting one in that style and it didn't come off as well as I would have liked. Are you using a template as a guide for your tape?

Morning Benson,
I should first say that both of these paint jobs were creations of mine and both were completed on Old Towns that were originally DK green. The one on the left was given to me in pieces. They are both Charles River models. Left (brown and orange) one #26721 (1913) and green one #52294 (1919). The gunnels extend beyond the decks simply because I liked the look and as I replaced the rails it was a way for me to make a significant joint between the two. It was the first canoe I restored and it looked like this before.HPIM3651.JPG So as I saved her I used a little "artistic license", here and there. She is AA and had double mahogany rails originally. I never saw the original rails.

Jan,
I've been a car painter all my life and masking free hand just requires pulling long lengths of tape at a time and orienting your eye ball to see fairness of line. Doesn't always go smoothly, but practice and confidence go along way....

Reid

Reid-- I bow down to you-- wow, what an amazing restoration! You and Dave W. should get some kind of special prize for bringing something back from the dead.

Thanks Kathryn, You certainly are full of flattery so I made sure to get your name right, sorry..I'm a slow learner. Looks like everyone here brings back things from the dead. Some just have higher standards for where they begin. I figure if I court enough "toads", I'll be rewarded with an "Indian Princess".

Reid

I did ok on the long line below the rail. It was the drop down following the stem curve where I had the most problem. I really like that style as it blends so many color combinations that one otherwise would not think of especially the art deco combinations.

I have the most problem with that line as well, Jan. The recreation of that stem curve is the hardest and it can definitly make or break the job. The boat in the foreground, I got it. The one in the background I didn't. I think you can actually take a boat that doesn't have a flattering stem curve and make it so with a good depiction of that forward turned done line. There doesn't seem to be a way to really "standardize", a good out come. I think the first three inches of the turn down are the most critical. One nice thing about getting the curve right is that if you don't nail the parting of the two colors with a fair and flattering seam you get another chance when you ad a separating stripe...

ReidHPIM5208.jpg

Back