Canoecopia

Hi,

Here are a few pictures of what we believe to be an early Peterborough racing canoe that we'll have at Canoecopia.

The plank is 5/32 Pine that is feather lapped, not the usual 1/4 inch cedar ship lapped. There was never a front thwart, the tharts are original and made of Pine but are not hollowed out underneath. The canoe had been canvased with mastic but the shadow of the thwart tag and spacing of the thwart holes fit a Peterborough thwart tag. The canvas was tacket to the underside of the outwhale with quarter round which required narrow thwart tags that were used to replace the originals (whereabouts unknown). The combing also has the seven srew spacing of a long deck Peterborough.

The planking and hull shape are still just about perfect as seen in the pictures.

Of note, a previoius owner moved the placement of the two inner thwarts farther to each end to open the canoe up in what I would assume to be an attempt to make the canoe less "tender". I've seen this in other racing canoes that were "adjusted" for pleasure use.

I'll be posting a few more pictures of the canoes that we'll be bringing.

Hope to see a good crowd.

Thanks,
Paul

Attachments

• IMAG0739.jpg
    IMAG0739.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 381
  • Hull 4 w.thwart.jpg
    Hull 4 w.thwart.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 380
  • Upright 2.jpg
    Upright 2.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 373
  • Plank 1.jpg
    Plank 1.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
Here are two pictures of the Suspect Peterborough, 1913 OT HW 15' with 30 inch Mahogany decks and double gunnels, and Rushton Arkansas Traveler.

See you at Canoecopia,

Paul

Attachments

• POR 1.jpg
    POR 1.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 368
  • POR 2.jpg
    POR 2.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 382
It's Sunny and warm in the friendy city of Madison.

We have been talking a great number of folks at Canoecopia and have added another favorite show going question to our list.

Paul K and I were entertaining questions when a young lad purhapse 18 or 20 was viewing the three canoe on the rack shown in the first picture and asked: "How do you get those canoes to look so old?" he hesitated another moment and said "or are they really that old?" We were both taken off guard and could only respond; yes they really are old. Dave later suggested the correct response: buy them new and store them in a barn for 100 years.

It appears the mission of the WCHA is still necessary and a benefit to society.

Thanks to those members who have stopped by and said hello.

Paul M.

Attachments

• IMAG0750.jpg
    IMAG0750.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 390
  • IMAG0747.jpg
    IMAG0747.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 402
  • IMAG0749.jpg
    IMAG0749.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 382
Paul K. Beautiful display of the canoes and WCHA banner. Really liked the canoe racks. Glad it all went well.

Mike Darga

Young Birch Bark Canoeist

Canoe Baby.jpg
It's Sunny and warm in the friendy city of Madison.

We have been talking a great number of folks at Canoecopia and have added another favorite show going question to our list.

Paul K and I were entertaining questions when a young lad purhapse 18 or 20 was viewing the three canoe on the rack shown in the first picture and asked: "How do you get those canoes to look so old?" he hesitated another moment and said "or are they really that old?" We were both taken off guard and could only respond; yes they really are old. Dave later suggested the correct response: buy them new and store them in a barn for 100 years.

It appears the mission of the WCHA is still necessary and a benefit to society.

Thanks to those members who have stopped by and said hello.

Paul M.

"This young paddler just couldn't resist trying out the bark canoe"

Back