Canoe Registration with your state

slk

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Ok guys here in MN you have to register your canoe with the state even if you do not use any type of motors, trolling motor ,etc. When I lived in FL if all you did was paddle you did not need a sticker for the canoe. Now getting to my question. I absolutely hate to have to put a big 4" x 3" sticker on these beautiful canoes, especially the clear epoxy ones. Has anyone ever had this issue, and is there any way around having to stick it to the actual side. It would forever leave a permanent discoloration on the canoe. I was thinking a hang plate but I do not think that would be legal. Any ideas.

Steve

In Ohio I have seen "hang plates" on canoes, so it must meet the legal requirement there. WE do not need to license canoes in MD. TM..

The document at https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/boatwater/boatingguide.pdf is very specific about where the decal must be placed on a canoe as shown in the diagram on page 11. However, page 13 includes a section titled "Collector Watercraft" which allows you to use a "detachable plate or board" on "watercraft that were built before July 1, 1959, and used solely as a collector's item." Can you claim to have an old canoe?

Benson

This is one of those issues which will remain until enough canoeists band together and put sufficient pressure on the lawmakers to change it. Canoes are part of Minnesota's history and heritage. The least the state could do if they insist on a sticker, is to design a more attractive version especially for canoes and kayaks which isn't butt ugly and which reflects that heritage. Since canoes aren't likely to lead the authorities on a high speed pursuit, it could also be sufficiently smaller. Back in the day when we used to travel from out of state to visit the Boundary Waters, we had to buy a Minnesota sticker. Lucky for us, it was mailed and generally didn't arrive at our home for a month - at which point we were already back from the trip and could throw the damned thing away.

When I lived in Kansas there was a registration decal requirement (but I don't think paddlecraft registration is required there now). I would laminated my decals, make an outwale-width, 90-degree fold at the top, and mount them under the heads of seat or thwart bolts. This was a very quick and essentially no-cost solution. I met up with Kansas officers from time to time and they were always satisfied with this. The MN authorities write that decals should be displayed anywhere on the forward half of the canoe. They don't specify the material of the "detachable plate or board", so a simple laminated decal - effectively a very thin plastic "plate" - might suffice.

I contacted Tom Emmers office today. State Rep. They said they would pass the concern on to see what could be done, but I will not hold my breath.

A few years ago I was "working" with my local Rep to change the law here to allow the use of the plack for any use.
Unfortunately it was over come by more pressing political matters and the Rep lost all interest.

The thing with MN law is that to use the hanging plack, the canoe has to be xx old, (built before xx date) and
the use/activity has to be an "official" club or other event.
Just taking it out for a paddle doesn't qualify.

So basically you have 3 options;

1) buy and put on the sticker (the least painless IMO)
2) register the canoe in another state, (pain unknown, be sure to pick a state that doesn't require stickers and/or numbers)
3) don't do anything and take your chances

I ended up just putting the stickers on all my boats, strippers and W/C.
For a boat that gets used, it doesn't matter much (at least to me)

Oh, during this time, I was conversing with the DNR small boat "manager" (to establish acceptable language).
It's very, very unlikely that a change to the registration and marking requirements would happen.
It's not the money so much (as the registration cost for canoes might not even cover the cost of the paper work)
but they, the DNR, uses the numbers to allocate resources (staff and dollars) and projects.

Dan
btw - IF you put a motor on the canoe, then the 3" numbers required in addition to the sticker.

Back