Canoe paddling event with the ACBS

ken.kelly

LOVES Wooden Canoes
It is really fun to get the mahogany runabout crowd out in wooden canoes. For the last 8 years the Water Wonderland Chapter of the Antique and Classic Boat Society has scheduled a 'non-powered' event. I host this event since it saves transporting the canoes I share with this group during the event. Other WCHA members help me co-host...including Russ Hicks, Dave McDaniel, Gil Cramer, Kathy Klos and Denis Kallery, Chris Pearson and more....this year it was Jim Richardson that brought his Otca and a Sailing Old Town for others to take a turn paddling. ACBS members are welcome to bring any canoes, rowboats or wooden kayaks they own. We had 18 ACBS members in attendance, and beautiful weather. We schedule it from 10am-4pm and provide lunch.

I'm posting this to present the concept and suggest other Chapters consider trying something similar. I don't think you need a member with 10 canoes and a lake front cabin to make it work...just have every WCHA member bring one extra canoe to the location of the event. A lake event seems better than a river, so the paddling is easier and you have a central location to launch and dock the canoes.

Let me know your questions or comments. btw - in the eight years we've only had one unintended swimmers. It has been a great way to make new friends and re-introduce many to canoeing fun that they haven't experienced since long ago.

Attachments

• DSCF0063.jpg
    DSCF0063.jpg
    567.6 KB · Views: 389
  • DSCF0064.jpg
    DSCF0064.jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 368
  • DSCF0066.jpg
    DSCF0066.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 363
  • DSCF0061.jpg
    DSCF0061.jpg