Canadian Requirements... what are they?

millie_sass

Canoe anybody?
Today we had a Three Rivers Chapter meeting. Discussions turned to the 2018 Assembly and what we would be required to bring per Canadian requirements. Can somebody help me figure that out? Some of our members have been to Peterborough before, but we want to be sure that we haven't missed any requirements for paddling in Ontario.

I think we may need (besides PFD, whistle) a toss bag, an extra paddle and some other things. Where can I find out definitely?

Thanks -

Please, please, please don't shoot from the hip when advising about laws, especially the laws of another country. Your statement of the requirements of pyrotechnics is not accurate -- it is incomplete as given above -- see the following for more information -- and even this may not be all there is -- I am not familiar with all the Canadian regulations. There may be other requirements, and/or other exceptions. A good many regulations apply or don't apply depending on, among other things, the length of the boat.

It is wise to be concerned about boating regulations, as well as customs regulations, personal documentation requirements, and requirements for bringing various kinds of things (things for resale; things that you don't own; things that you acquire in Canada; etc., etc., etc.).

Inaccurate and/or incomplete information is worse than worrthless -- it can actually be harmful.

The WCHA will be putting out information and advice well before the Assembly.

aaIMG_20171115_0001.jpg

As shown on the attached link,
1. One (1) lifejacket or PFD for each person on board 2. One (1) reboarding device (See Note 1) 3. One (1) buoyant heaving line at least 15 m (49’3”) long If boat is over 6 m 4. One (1) watertight flashlight 5. Six (6) flares of type A, B or C (See Note 2) 6. One (1) bailer OR One manual bilge pump (See Note 3) OR Bilge-pumping arrangements 7. One (1) sound-signalling device or appliance 8. Navigation lights (See Note 4) 9. One (1) magnetic compass (See Note 5) 10. One (1) radar reflector (See Note 6)

*If every person on board a personal watercraft is wearing a lifejacket or a PFD of an appropriate size, you are only required to carry: . 1) a sound-signalling device; . 2) a watertight flashlight or three pyrotechnic distress signals other than smoke signals; . 3) a magnetic compass if the personal watercraft is navigated out of sight of navigation marks; and . 4) navigation lights if the personal watercraft is used after sunset or before sunrise or in periods of restricted visibility.

No pyrotechnics required.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/marinesafety/TP-511e.pdf

We have purchased 25 "Fox 40 Marine Safety Kits" to be made available at Assembly near cost ($10) to those who want ensure they comply with the regulations.

Back