Can someone help identify this 18 Old Town Square stern

woodwerx

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi I am new to WCHA and I just purchased this Old Town canoe on Craigslist for CHEAP .
This is all I know about and I have attached a picture. I did some research and it seems that only 16ft square sterns were made

18' Old Town square stern cedar , stored in a barn, serial # too difficult to read

OT1.jpg

Hello, and welcome! We need more pictures, please... this image doesn't say much beyond "could be a canoe-- a green one." The deck-- especially if it's a short deck, can provide an indication of the builder, and sometimes even the model. But if the boat is an Old Town, you'll get some detailed information about the process of building it and the date it was shipped, if you provide the serial number.Clean it off-- maybe even use a bit of paint stripper-- and take a digital picture and post it here, along with pictures of the deck, a side view, and the inside of the canoe. Digital pictures show a lot of detail and the many eyes of those who visit this place may decipher what's there. Also, keep in mind that many people think any wooden canoe is an Old Town, and you may have a boat by a different maker. Old Town serial numbers consist of up to 6 digits, followed by a space and the length of the canoe.

Looking forward to helping you figure this out!

Kathy

Your picture is saying a bit more to me than when I originally looked at it. You might have a shoe keel there, which suggests a Canadian builder. The type of screws used on the outwales may suggest a particular builder too. But more pictures will say a good deal more... and we love pictures!

Hello,

There were a lot of 18' Old Town Square sterns made. They came in two configurations. The first was an earlier model that featured a tucked stern. As motors grew larger however, the form was altered to give more buoyancy to the stern. I've got a 1964 18'er in the collection with the larger profile, and I restored a 1935 (with the tucked stern) for a client many years ago. Of the two, I prefer the earlier one. I like the aesthetic, and I don't need to go like a bat outta hell on the water!

Thank you.. I will get it when I pick it up next week. Would you have any idea on year?

From what I can see in the photo...20418??
That number would be roughly 1912-1913... I don't have my cd to look it up for sure.

Once you get the boat and can determine the serial number, post it.
Someone will look up and post a copy of the actual factory build record...including ship to address and dates.

I looked up 120418 and it's a Yankee model canoe, and 120478 is a 11 1/2' sailing dinghy-- neither of these fit. Will keep looking... but this 120 series dates to the late 1930s and (to my mind) fits the apparent age of the boat.

Kathy

I may have the record. Old Town 130418 is an 18 foot CS (common sense or middle) grade Paddling model canoe that was completed June 1940 to July 1941. It has open spruce gunwales, half ribs, a keel and outside stems. Original color was dark green. It was shipped to Portland, Maine, on July 9, 1941.

A scan of this build record can be found by following the link behind the thumbnail image attached below.

This scan and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-the-wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-New-Membership.html to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Kathy

Attachments

• ot 130418 paddling.jpg
    ot 130418 paddling.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 477
130418-18

Hi,

I think that the 2 is a 3. What do you think?

Dan

Way ahead of me Kathy!!

Attachments

• 130418-18.jpg
    130418-18.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 501
I may have the record. Old Town 130418 is an 18 foot CS (common sense or middle) grade Paddling model canoe that was completed June 1940 to July 1941. It has open spruce gunwales, half ribs, a keel and outside stems. Original color was dark green. It was shipped to Portland, Maine, on July 9, 1941.

A scan of this build record can be found by following the link behind the thumbnail image attached below.

This scan and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-the-wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-New-Membership.html to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Kathy

Kathy you nailed it that is the serial number 130418.. it is in good shape to hole between ribs.. No cracked or broken ribs.Keel is good. Gunwhales are awesome.. Stern needs work but overall it is in good shape.

Thank you everyone for the great help

Great news-- update us during restoration process if you want to. It's fun to cheer people on and see the final launching!

Kathy

Hi! On reviewing some old posts, I noticed that you mentioned that you had two Hudson River models. Do you have, or know where I can obtain, a medallion for the canoe I have restored. I have restored canoes that are now purchased by Mort Dahl, in Spooner, WI, and an EM White Featherweight I restored is hanging in the Canoe Museum in Spooner, WI. Due to a spinal cord injury, I can no longer do any restoration, but I would love to find the medallion that would complete the one canoe I kept.

I’m revisiting this old thread looking for information on what has been identified as an 16’ Old Town Speed square stern. As mentioned earlier in this thread some square sterns had a tuck and others some other modification to add buoyancy for larger motors. Can you please give a description or pictures of these two design details. The boat I am working on has a distinct flare at the last frame to the transom and then flare again in the gunwale just at the transom. Are these flares original to the design?
Thanks

BNick,
We need photos to be able to comment on your boat.
Could the “flares” you describe be what we know as sponsons?
Sponsons are along the gunwale, tapered on each end. They are supposed to add stability and flotation.

Thanks for getting back so soon. Yes, this boat has sponsons. But I am referring to shape that is in hull itself. At the turn of the bulge just forward of the transom, at the last frame, the hull takes a distinct flare. The flare is only at the bilges and at the gunwale. The bottom is flat at the transom. In prior research on these forums I’ve seen OT catalogue descriptions of square stern hulls with increased “Breadth” at the stern to add buoyancy for outboard motors and am wondering if that is the shape I am seeing.
Thanks

This is a 1939 Square Stern. Not to be confused with a Square Stern Paddling Canoe.
Is this what you have?

Attachments

• 5B551AA4-70A0-4C44-AFF2-ECF34921C11E.jpeg
    5B551AA4-70A0-4C44-AFF2-ECF34921C11E.jpeg
    291.2 KB · Views: 1,323
  • C41DA1C8-7809-46F6-BA64-0CF334E1F354.jpeg
    C41DA1C8-7809-46F6-BA64-0CF334E1F354.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 463
  • 8E741651-FEA8-4EDA-B4CC-4BBEDA22E6E9.jpeg
    8E741651-FEA8-4EDA-B4CC-4BBEDA22E6E9.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 791
Back