BN Morris

Here is a photo of a half-hoop supported mosquito netting at the paddlefancy.com website. I wonder if my female brass fitting was the receptacle for a male brass fitting at the end of a half-hoop support.

Mark Douglass

canoe with canopy.jpg

Last edited:
It could very well be, Mark. I'm trying to recall what I saw a few years back, when the Assembly topic was courting canoes and there were several examples of the tent-like structures. I don't remember seeing this exact thing but then I wasn't deliberately checking them out. What I recall was a fixture on the canoe that the metal hoop slid into from the top-- someone may have a picture of that or may have seen what you have, set up with hoops.

I don't believe Morris had tents available at the factory-- at least, I don't see this offered in the catalog... but the tent-structures could have been added-on and were certainly a common sight on the Charles River. They show up on postcards of Belle Isle in Detroit too.

While inspecting my B. N. Morris, I noticed that although the front two brass fittings were located in the same relative place on opposite inwales, the aft two fittings (grommet-like impressions in the wood, actually) are offset from one another. The port grommet-like impression is about a foot further aft relative to the starboard grommet-like impression. Assuming several parallel half-hoop structures supporting a mosquito net or canopy over the entire canoe, or, assuming only two long half-hoop structures crossing somewhere amidship, I am wondering if the port-side off-set allowed for the steersman to use his paddle on the port side without hitting the supporting structure mid-stroke.

Canoe archeology is rather interesting.

Mark Douglass

Would the tent-like structures have been in place while paddling or only when the people got where they were going... and wanted a bit of privacy? Or, did the tented-part extend only over the portion of the canoe where the lady sat, whilst the gentleman was outside with all the mosquitoes? I have some pictures and will see what I can learn from them.

Mark,

Are the fittings inserted into the SIDE of the inwale as it looks? If so, they would have a tough time supporting a canopy. The uprights would swivel forward or backward and the canopy would collapse. Seems they may have been put there for some other reason.

I'll post pictures found elsewhere in these forums showing the canopy and its bracket.

Attachments

• Canopy.jpg
    Canopy.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 293
  • canopy bracket.jpg
    canopy bracket.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 299
Thinking about the larger picture, it is fascinating to me that the canoe craze of the 1900-1930--with canopies--addresses some needs that we take for granted. What would you do if you lived in a hot, sweltering apartment in a big city such as Boston if you are tired of going to the cinema? The best air conditioning is on a placid lake or on the Charles River. But, the mosquitoes!

Today, we turn on the air conditioning in our apartments, homes, and cars. If we do step outside and face the mosquitoes, we spray ourselves with Off! bug spray, lather our skin with DEET, or turn on an electronic device which makes sounds which are repellant to mosquitoes. At least such repellants are a bit more pleasant than the "6-12" bug repellant of my youth!

Mark Douglass

Last edited:
Here is a do-it-yourself canoe canopy using PCV tubing to good effect:

http://www.vincemann.com/home_made_canopyvm.htm

And, another with a plastic stabilizing gunwale fitting:

http://fantasticdecor.blogspot.com/2007/12/canoe-canopy.html

And, a 1975 patent:

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=ESg1AAAAEBAJ

And, a 1907 patent:

http://www.google.es/patents/about/872088_CANOE_AWNING.html?id=6zZdAAAAEBAJ

And, a 1921 patent:

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=2shfAAAAEBAJ

Mark Douglass

P.S. I have obviously gone completely off the rails, so to speak, with my interest in my wood and canvas canoes. My wife awaits me, alone in our bed. Meanwhile, I am up late at night, searching the internet for canoe tent, canopy, and awning patents and corresponding with other like minded individuals! Fascinating stuff, these canoes.

Last edited:
Mark;
Just don't forget, the purpose of a courting canoe is Courting! Ya might want to turn off the PC and go to BED !
Just a thought!
......Dave

Dave,

Yes, of course. In fact, I really do know what is important. Although I do love my canoes and learning more about them, I love my wife even more. Thanks.

Mark Douglass

Last edited:
Dave: the picture you posted of your open gunwale Morris on the BN Morris facebook page has been getting wows from members of the Charles Morris family. It has been exciting to see how happy they are to be descended from someone who contributed to the history of the canoe and left behind a legacy that canoe-nuts care about. Your spectacular restoration is something I'm very happy they have had a chance to see.

Kathy

Kathy; I think the Morris page on FB can be a valuable resource for cataloging pics of all the models of Morris canoes that all of us may have.
Close ups of decks, gunnel etc, could be helpful to restorers.
......Dave

Back