BN Morris - 1063

jam010148

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Is there any way of identifying the year this canoe was built? It has a brass plate with the number 1063 stamped on it Brass attached to splayed inner stem. An original BN Morris with short (heart) decks and covered gunwales. No broken or replaced ribs, planks, stem ends gunwales - amazing shape. Paint shows the age cracks but otherwise, a wall hanger as is!!!
thanks
joe

There are other dating considerations that should be part of your calculus. With low number tags it's necessary to rule out the possibility that the canoe is a Veazie. Even though the theory has been that Veazie canoes came with a keyhole deck, the one I own would be mistaken for a Morris had I not found the remains of a Veazie tag on the coamings (it's a long deck). My takeaway from the revelation was that you could order any Morris model as a Veazie. Veazie serial numbers are always lower than those of the higher production quantity Morris boats. So count the cant ribs and look for any other tells of later construction. Otherwise that's a nice early canoe, congratulations. Please do post some photo's of it.

Hi Mike,
The canoe is not mine. It belongs to the person who purchased the 1908 repro BN Morris that I posted on this site. I sent him documentation from links provided on this forum and the BN Morris booklet sold on the WCHA store. The canoe is in beautiful shape with no indication of ever having been repaired.
have a great day
joe

Back