Assembly

john hupfield

fire starter/wood burner
So who might be bringing a sailing canoe or sailing rig to Assembly?
We should do some planning.There are a number of Canoe Sailors planning to attend and bring rigs for display and possible use.The Canoe Museum has a few excellent examples of the Art.
John

I've got some details to work out as to wether we have a good day sailing location or just a display area and river to deal with.
We could piggy-back on Bear Mountains Builders Symposium for Sunday to sail at Lakefield College but I need to ascertain if that is in conflict with other WCHA programs.Evening sails would be nice too.
It would be great to give eveyone a chance to try a 16/30 as well as to sail other peoples boats or swap ideas.
I'm bringing a couple of rigging decks and at least one open canoe.Brother Rob is bringing his Peterborough canoe with ACA rig.
I will see if I can get Hugh Horten and his Bufflehead and maybe one of the Gougion Brothers.I've asked Douglas Fowler but don't know yet.Pam Wedd has a sail rig too.Very nice.
Anyone else we should pursue?
John

safety

Since we might have to travel to sail, and a crash boat would be invaluable for safety, I'm working on a solution. Minor carburetor problems should be sorted soon but maybe bring some spare barrels.

Attachments

• crashtruck.jpg
    crashtruck.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 582
john hupfield said:
I've got some details to work out as to wether we have a good day sailing location or just a display area and river to deal with.
We could piggy-back on Bear Mountains Builders Symposium for Sunday to sail at Lakefield College but I need to ascertain if that is in conflict with other WCHA programs.Evening sails would be nice too.

It looks like there are some largish lakes north of Peterborough - maybe we can migrate to a launch site up there one afternoon...

There usually isn't much for programs at Assembly on Sunday - usually folks bolt for home first thing Sunday morning...

john hupfield said:
Anyone else we should pursue?
John

The Lavertues and Dan Sutherland?

pursuing

Great idea Dan,
we can buy camels up here but I'm afraid there's no 1812 amber. Perhaps we can use another lure, maybe on lees?:cool:

john hupfield said:
So who might be bringing a sailing canoe or sailing rig to Assembly?

I may bring an Old Town Otca model with twin sails if I end up pulling a trailer.

Benson

That would be great Benson.I've never seen an open American Sailing Canoe.
Sure there are lots of lakes Dan.I will continue to investigate the potential.
There is one really nice beach just west of Dick Perrsons Shop in Buckhorn,about 30 minutes or so north of Peterborough.The Lakefield location is good and closer but I don't want to negotiate with the school which Joan and Ted have already done for their symposium.
With the right wind we could sail up and down the river at Trent making great photos.I'll keep researching this.
Dan you probably have more leverage with those guys whom I have heard of but don't know.
I will try to see what the Museum is prepared to do.
John

I want to...

I'm working on a 16 foot OT Guide with a sailing rig. I've never sailed and would love some guidance. I'm trying like hell to go.:D

Chris

Definitly I would say it is worth it to go if for no other reason then you can meet some of the leading proponents of canoe sailing anywhere.
Certainly we can deal with theory and examples though actual on water is not yet decided.Thursday afternoon looks possible.Don't want to conflict with too much.Assembly is short enough.
John

Back