A canoe for the auction

Benson Gray

Canoe History Enthusiast
Staff member
A nice canoe for the WCHA's auction was dropped off at my house today as shown below. It was described as an Old Town but I think that it may be a Chestnut Doe model. The serial number is 15 71677 which goes with a 16 foot long canoe in the Old Town records. This one is roughly 15 feet long, 13 inches deep, 33 inches wide at the rails with some tumblehome and a flat / shoe keel. The ribs are about an inch and a half wide and the same distance apart. The seat and thwart bolts are round headed and the rail screw heads are slotted. I had fun testing it in a local pond. It doesn't even leak although the canvas should be replaced, the tips need work, there is at least one broken rib, and the seat cane needs to be replaced. The owners have asked for some pictures once it is restored. Some images of it now and a few pages from a 1967 Chestnut catalog are attached below for reference. Can anyone here provide any more information about it? Thanks,

Benson

Attachments

• Auction-1.jpg
    Auction-1.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 443
  • Auction-2.jpg
    Auction-2.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 471
  • Auction-3.jpg
    Auction-3.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 485
  • page-06.gif
    page-06.gif
    267.4 KB · Views: 476
  • page-03.gif
    page-03.gif
    319.9 KB · Views: 484
  • Auction-4.jpg
    Auction-4.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
'tis a Chestnut but I think you alresdy have it all figured out. Nice Maple thwart which they often used too.

Back