1940's Peterborough Canoe Co. cedar strip rowing skiff 16'

Roger Young

display sample collector
Apologies for the last-minute notice, but I just learned today of a 16' cedar strip rowing skiff, purportedly built by Peterborough Canoe Co. in the 1940's. It is coming up for auction this Saturday, July 9th, in Napanee, ON, at Tim Potter Auctions - http://www.timpotter.com/auctions/070916.html. This boat appears to be in very good condition, has its original floor racks and two pairs of nearly-new oars.

I checked with the Canoe Museum and was advised that during the 1940's Peterborough Canoe was selling a 16' cedar strip rowing skiff called the "Burleigh". It had a beam of 42", a depth of 15", and weighed in at 130 lbs. The boat at auction has a strong resemblance to catalogue images. Meanwhile, down the street at Canadian Canoe Co., they were turning out an identical craft called the "Trent". Same dimensions and weight.

Auction pics are attached below. I have no connection to or ownership interest in this item. I merely flag it here for any others who do. Seems like too nice and too rare a boat to go unwanted or passed by, so I thought others here might wish to be aware. Good luck.

Attachments

• ptbo skiff.jpg
    ptbo skiff.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 922
  • ptbo skiff2.jpg
    ptbo skiff2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,053
  • ptbo skiff3.jpg
    ptbo skiff3.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 1,079
  • ptbo skiff1.jpg
    ptbo skiff1.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 894
These are wonderful boats to be on the water with, very responsive and easy to row. That one does appear to be in terrific condition too; I wish I were in a position to go after it...

Cliff

Cliff:
It went to a dealer for a total of $1925 CDN (approx. $1450 US), including buyer's premium. Seems to me a pretty reasonable buy for an object that could well be appraised for closer to double that amount.

Roger, I certainly thought it would go much higher... The oars are worth a nice chunk of that too. Oh well, maybe next time.

I'm sitting here bummed too about missing Assembly this year; I really wanted to see your models exhibit, as well as a lot of folks we met over the last couple of years.

Cliff

Definitely a Peterborough - the bead feature cut into the seats was unique to them. I have an identical one in storage awaiting restoration next winter. Looking for a set of oars though!

Back