18' OT Guide

ppride

Canoe Builder
Here are some pictures of my latest project, an 18' OT GS grade Guide. It was fiberglassed which rotted out the ends, but fortunately they did a poor job of glassing and it came off quickly with a heat gun. There are a couple of interesting things with this canoe. I really like the flattened coffee can patch on a series of broken ribs, and the steel strap for gunnel repair. Also the lawn chair webbing for the seats. A serious question, are the steel eye bolt painter rings an Old Town original?
Thanks, Pete

Attachments

• IMG_9326.JPG
    IMG_9326.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_9328.JPG
    IMG_9328.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_9329.JPG
    IMG_9329.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_9333.JPG
    IMG_9333.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 301
are the steel eye bolt painter rings an Old Town original?

My guess is that your canoe did not leave the factory with those steel eye bolts in the decks for painter rings. That seems like an addition that came with some of the other creative repairs. Good luck with the rest of the restoration,

Benson

Outlandish repairs

The square nut on top is suspicious but that seems the best of the changes. I often wonder that we don't have a thread for the most rediculous or creative repairs to a wood canoe. Maybe outlandish would be the phrase. That coffee can is great. Always wonder who did it and what was on their minds.

Guide deck

Here's a couple shots of a front deck on a OT 18' GUIDE i picked up. Just goes to show there's more than one way to cover up rotten wood. Some leather, upholstery tacks, and presto -- GOOD AS NEW! Added some mahogany to a CS grade canoe and it looks better than new DSC00554.jpgDSC00557.jpg DSC01079.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful

Beautiful work. Amazing what can be done with old canoes.
But Greg, I think they said "good to the last rib."

Last edited:
Back