16' Cedar Strip Prospector

Don't waste your money. The crap about them "not building them like that any more" is only accurate in that today they build them better! I also seriously doubt that the boat is anywhere near as old as he thinks it is. It's simply showing a lot of weathering, delamination and potential fix-it nightmares. If you have the energy to restore that one and can do reasonably neat work and follow directions you'll have no problems building a new one from scratch that is sound, built with proper materials AND PRETTY - which that old hoss is never going to be. In many ways, rebuilding a stripper is much harder and less straight-forward than starting from scratch and building your own. There are only a handful of cedar-strip/fiberglass canoes out there that might have enough historical value to bother restoring from such a state of disrepair and that ain't one of 'em. Use your money to go buy a copy of Ted Moore's book "Canoecraft" and build yourself a Prospector that's drop dead gorgeous. With this one you would just be buying something that this guy REALLY wants to get rid of - and for good reason.

What Todd said.

The only way I'd take that one is if somebody delivered it to me and I didn't pay anything for it, and then I'd think hard before I spent any time on it.

Dan

Back