Seliga 5 66 282

My rocking canoe project is canvased and filled so I had some time to get back to work on the Seliga P1120010.jpg
While reading Jerry Stelmok's book on Joe Seliga I came across a photo and description of Joe using a tilted dado head on a table saw to bevel the curved portion of the stem where the planking lands (page 87). It had never occurred to me but it seemed like an appropriate time to try it. The man was a genius! Easiest stem I ever shaped.P1130011.jpg P1130016.jpg P1130014.jpg Of course there was a good bit of time adjusting the settings and testing it on scraps but once you have those figured out the next 1242 are easy. (I forgot that some were square enders with only one stem, so a few less )
Joe only stamped the serial number on one stem and of course it was the one that had to be replaced so I sliced it off and inlayed it in the new stem in the same location.P1130019.jpgP1130020.jpg
It is a perfect fit. Matched the existing planking exactly without any finagling. I'll pop it back out and varnish it before final installation.P1130021.jpgP1130022.jpgP1130023.jpg

Reactions: MGC
While reading Jerry Stelmok's book on Joe Seliga I came across a photo and description of Joe using a tilted dado head on a table saw to bevel the curved portion of the stem where the planking lands (page 87). It had never occurred to me but it seemed like an appropriate time to try it. The man was a genius! Easiest stem I ever shaped.
Yes...good eye. 86 and 87. I never paid much attention to that but perhaps I should have. It's interesting to see the dado blade to make the bevel...and after the stem is bent. I'm going to re-read that book in the next few days and see what else I didn't pay close enough attention to.

That little edge that the dado doesn't remove supports the outfeed portion of the stem which is important. It also allows you to go back and do it again if you need to raise the dado or make sure the tangent of the curve is directly above the arbor as you feed. Jerry said Joe then removed it with a band saw but I just used a hand plane.

Back