Paint sources wood and canvas canoe

Lots of good advice here. I'd add one bit more: I think you'll like it better if you use more than one coat primer. Prime, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, Paint, sand etc. You'll get two or three coats of primer from a quart.

Dealing with the Kirby folks is great. And love their "old fashioned" color selections. You can choose satin, semi-gloss, or gloss finishes. I personally like the low gloss option as the higher the gloss, the more one is likely to see defects. And I just like the look of a low gloss finish.

My experience with application is that Penetrol is necessary to keep the Kirby paint flowing.

And x2 on Dave's comment about multiple primer coats.

Matt

My take on paints.....
Epifanes.... best paint out of the can. Flow and gloss is exceptional.
Interlux Brightside..... great out of the can. Good flow and gloss.
Pettit Ezpoxy..... good out of the can. Sometimes need amendment with Penetrol for flow.
Kirby.... always needs amendment for flow. Gloss is not as glossy as others. The upside is color selection, customer service and ability to mix custom colors.
Rustolem and implement paints.... dried film not as thick as paints above. More coats for me to achieve desired look.

My thought with paint, varnish, and paint stripper has always been that you get what you pay for. I’ve always found that by spending that extra $25 a quart, I’m happier with the outcome.

Getting ready to put my Kirby's on. I've primed, sanded, primed and sanded, primed and sanded. I have some Interlux 333 from my Interlux K-cote primer, its for flow control. Can I use this with Kirby's? I'll of course try using paint unconditioned first.

Back