canoe form

David Satter

Wooden Canoe Maniac
I'm helping a friend clean out his dads shed. He found a canoe form it looks really nice. It's so covered with stuff I don't know even how big it is yet. We're going to get it out in the lite and see. Looks to be in really good shape. My question is what's it worth? looks all there with all the metal straps. I don't build new ones so I'm not really sure. My guess is it's under 16 feet. Also some cedar strip canoe molds. I'll probably post it up for sale when I can get some photos. Thanks, Dave

Wooden canoe forms and cedar strip canoe stations are very difficult to sell and usually go for free or a few hundred dollars at best. You can be doing well if you don't have to pay someone to haul it away. There is a well known one at http://wcha.org/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=1279 listed for 'best offer' that probably hasn't drawn any bids in many months. The Old Town war canoe form at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?14373 was given away for the cost of the gas to deliver it. Your mileage may vary...

Benson

I am looking for a form to start building on. Did you sell it yet? If not, can you send some info on it? Length, type, condition, pictures?

Thanks.

John Metts
Michigan

I don't know that anyone here builds forms to sell, but if you're looking to build a canoe, you might want to indicate what specific hull design you're interested in building. Also include what type of construction you're thinking about: Wood & canvas, strip & 'glass, etc. You might also want to check with your local WCHA Chapter... You're in Michigan, which has two quite active chapters: Check into http://www.wcha.org/local-area-chapters, where you'll find a lot (A LOT) of people with a lot (A LOT) of experience building & restoring wood/canvas canoes, and probably some other canoe types, as well...

Thanks for the response. I guess I was a little vague in my post. Wood canvas, Atkinson Traveler, Chestnut Pal, Indian Maiden. I just signed up for the local chapter near me so I will check around there. My Great-Grandfather worked for Peterborough Co. and owned his own company, "J.B. O'Dette & Sons" in Canada. I've always wanted to build W/C's and now that I'm 60 I guess it is time I get going. Restoring my first Carlton now. Having a great time.

John

Traveler forms show up from time to time..I recall seeing one for sale here in the Finger Lakes region not that long ago.
That said, how about building your own form?
Give Rollin Thurlow a call at Northwoods Canoe..it's his design. He sells the plans, form stations, kits etc. He also may know of a form that's for sale...
https://www.wooden-canoes.com/,.

That's a great boat choice....they are a pleasure to paddle, loaded full of gear or with a rod and a box of tackle, or packed to the rails with kids and a dog...

I have a few travelers that I have built over the years and love them very much. They paddle great with tons of gear or with kids and dog jumping all around. If you are ever in the Madison area and would like to go for a paddle, I would be happy to take you out in one.

Attachments

• IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 654
  • IMG_0368.jpg
    IMG_0368.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 601
Thanks! I get over that way once in a while. If I get there again I will give you a holler.

Scan10002.JPG

I have a copy of the catalog that I rec'd from the Canadian Canoe Museum. I will attach a little bio of him and a photo. In the bio and elsewhere he is called John Baptiste or "Bat." My grandmother (his daughter) called him "Jean" and I was christened "Jean Baptiste Metts." She said he was seldom without his "peep" (pipe). We had a small model of one of his canoes when I was very young. My mother gave it to her brother. He recently died and I have been asking around to see if anyone knows where it went. If I find it I will let you know. I also attached a pic of the Carlton and my first attempt at bending ribs and planking. So far I have 17 bent and 4 in place. No breaks so far. Really enjoying this, though I wish I would have started 40 years ago.

Attachments

• O'Dette biographical reflection (unrecorded author) .pdf
    382 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_1260.JPG
    IMG_1260.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 559
  • Bending ribs 2.jpg
    Bending ribs 2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 562
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 599
Hi David, I would be interested in your canoe mold if you want to part with it? I've always wanted to build a cedar canvas canoe from scratch. Only problem is I'm up in Canada, not sure where you are with it?
Thanks, Gary

Back