Chestnut Prospector paint colors

I agree......If I had access to that formula, I would have definitely gone with it....I tried and the only thing I got was a picture of an original Chestnut paint can, so I copied the photo and had the paint mixed to match....ALMOST...lol
Nice research.

Located here in South Paris, Maine, about 40 miles east of Noth Conway, NH... My next project is to re-restore a 74 , 14' Sebago WC boat....I was looking it over the other day, and, discovered I made a lot of mistakes on that one, it was my first attempt...Got it for $50 at an auction and once it was done got the bug!...LOL.... Have a few more canoes to do now but got all I need so am gonna restore the boat...I also have and use a 19' wood strip Laker on the style of the Grand Lakers...My plate is full....
Ted

That sage green is what I believe the Chestnut company called "gray." It is a color I once saw depicted on Prospector, which was said to be their original color. Rustoleum has an enamel color which I think is very close...

Look at Kirby Paints.....green gray. I've done a couple Chessies in that color. Matches nearly perfect. image.jpg

22' Cheznut Selkirk model..... Green gray Kirby.

Last edited:
Look at Kirby Paints.....green gray. Matches nearly perfect.

I had intended to paint my Chestnut that color but after looking at your post I am wondering if I will. It looks way too blue and does not have the same coloration as the Kirby chip that I have from the their color chart.
Did you color enhance your photo and pull up the blues or mid-tones? I ask considering how blue your boat looks and also the sky and the building trim.
If not I am now unsure if I would use the Kirby.....

Dave Lanthier, in Kamloops, B.C., did my 12' Chestnut Trapper over the winter in the colour Chestnut called grey. It is actually like an olive green so not sure why they called it grey but was used on many boats, especially Ogilvys and other river working boats. I have the sample at home, could post later or perhaps Dave can pipe up.
Gary

I found the color to match an Original Ogilvy that I once did. I've painted a couple others since, including the Selkirk in other previous post. That photo was in full sun, untouched.
I did a search on "Kirby green gray", and was lead to some posts on the wooden boat forum with photos of boats with the color on them. I do believe that the lighting does make a difference.
I don't see the blue that MGC sees. It reminds me of the color of a Russian Olive tree.
Do the search....check it out on other boats......

Hello Dave,
the canoe looks lt.blue/gray and the blue doors and railings look very blue. My screen must be reacting to this photo because all of the blue is high lighted.

It looks a bit blue on mine as well, though the photo colors are pretty highly saturated and backing it off a bit helps. Different digital cameras seem to be all over the place when it comes to accurately presenting colors. It's been a very long time since I saw an original grey/green Chestnut, but I always remembered it as being pretty close to the photos in my old catalog from the '70s, which does seem a bit greener. I scanned a page, though the scan itself looks a bit coarse/grainy and a little greener than the page did.

Attachments

• cn2.jpg
    cn2.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 443
Is this the colour you're looking for ?
It's referred to it as Dead Grass Green , I get it from a local paint shop.

008-4.jpg

Back