Rudder or Paddle?

greenvilleguy

'42 Yankee OTC
In a previous post, I mentioned that I'd like to try sailing by rigging my '42 OTC Yankee.

Does anyone use a paddle for a rudder? Do you need a fulcrum (pivot point) like an oar lock to pivot against or can you just hold the paddle?

If I decide to make a rudder, can anyone help me with where to get the needed hardware?

I've used a paddle as a rudder. No oarlock needed -- you just hold it. That does get tiring after a while, but for short spins, it works. A really long paddle is better mine's 5"9".

can anyone help me with where to get the needed hardware?

I have used a paddle as a rudder but it can be a bit of a pain if the rig is not exceptionally well balanced as Paul mentioned. Reproduction hardware is available from Bob Lavertue of Springfield Fan Centerboard at 456 Fuller Street, Ludlow, Massachusetts 01056, (413) 547-8364 and some other sources. You may find it less expensive to just buy an old canoe with a sailing rig to get what you need. Good luck,

Benson

I'm cerainly no expert sailor. I used to sail my old Grumann using a paddl for a rudder. It actually worked great on that canoe. I find that just dragging it in the water and rotating the grip controls the canoe quite well. I now sail a 17 foot Prospector and find the paddle is a bit less convenient, but as Paul pointed out an extra long paddle does the job. I suspect the difference from my old Grumann is the trim. I sit closer to amidships in the Prospector.

Back