20 ft. Sponson - Chestnut!

Easternrivers

Traditionalist
I had seen this for sale before, but ignored it as a 20 footer is not conducive to managable handling, however........I revisited this ad and see it's still available. Now I have a sponson Chestnut now - 17ft. How cool would it be to get another at 20???
Appears to be an Ogolvie I think. Well used for salmon fishing here in New Brunswick.
Not bad shape. Price is fair, but I think it could go lower.... Comments?
20ft chestnut.jpg
20ft chestnut1.jpg
20ft chestnut2.jpg

What, you are asking US not to push you down that slippery slope??? This is, after all, the support group from hell. Go for it! :cool:

Ok, on the other side. If you need a twenty foot canoe, and you have to have sponsons on it, better would be to learn how to paddle a smaller canoe safely. If you are in a 20 foot canoe with sponsons, you are saying to the many guests you have aboard the canoe, "hey I really don't know how to keep this thing from tipping over" Ergo sponsons.

Ok, on the other side. If you need a twenty foot canoe, and you have to have sponsons on it, better would be to learn how to paddle a smaller canoe safely. If you are in a 20 foot canoe with sponsons, you are saying to the many guests you have aboard the canoe, "hey I really don't know how to keep this thing from tipping over" Ergo sponsons.

True, but it adds to the thrill.
Would be a great fishing canoe, or river tripper for sure. Alas, fishing here ain't what she used to be.:(

Of course you will need many guests to help you haul the thing around. So then you need smarter guests. Or prohibit booze on the canoe. Or you are aiming at decreasing your insurance liability when your many guests drown. "Hey, not my fault. I had sponsons on the canoe". I am kidding mostly. .

Go for it. There's enough help there to carry it. Maybe they will even help refinish it.

And you might find it a challenge to unload should you tired of lugging it around or occupying space...

That's an awesome shot of the sunk canoe still under sail! LOL... like sailing a bathtub full of water.
I have a sailing rig at home, but I think its much smaller...likely about 50ftsq.? From my Huron.
SAILING CANOE.jpg

Go for it. Don't listen to the naysayers. You're going to build a trailer for it anyway. I've never even seen a 17 footer with sponsons on top a car and I've got one. Mine weighs 132 lb. Bet yours could be re-conditioned under 150 lb. It's on a trailer. Who cares?
IMG_2074.JPG

Go for it. Don't listen to the naysayers. You're going to build a trailer for it anyway. I've never even seen a 17 footer with sponsons on top a car and I've got one. Mine weighs 132 lb. Bet yours could be re-conditioned under 150 lb. It's on a trailer. Who cares?
View attachment 24201

Thats a great looking setup! I'll likely have to do that for my 17ft'er as it is. Let alone a 20 ft'er. Owners haven't replied to my query yet, so we'll see.

I'm starting to dream a little. That might be something I need. How far is it from Jackson, Tennessee?

you could always remove the sponsons and save them in case you wanted to put them back on later, you could also turn it into a tour canoe or water taxi. that thing must be impressive in size.

It's definitly an Ogilvy , I've also been keeping an eye on it.
I have two 20' Ogilvys , I carry them on a truck rack . I can and have loaded and unloaded them alone many times , while they're on the heavy side , they're not unmanagable .
There's a pile of Ogilvy's hiding in NB , they were the standard salmon fishing canoe in NB .
If any one knows where there's a 26' Ogilvy hiding please let me know , I'm hunting for one .

Back