Maybury canoe row boat

pobblestone

Hello,

I have an old Maybury canoe/row boat. Attached are some photos.

Does anyone know about the year, history, or value of the boat?

With thanks in advance.

-N

Attachments

• 3K73F83Jb5Ic5E65Fdcah915f22d157bb11aa.jpg
    3K73F83Jb5Ic5E65Fdcah915f22d157bb11aa.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 823
  • 3Kd3I13N15If5L55E4cah81e2211300ff1845.jpg
    3Kd3I13N15If5L55E4cah81e2211300ff1845.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 791
  • img_4867088_01.jpg
    img_4867088_01.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 840
  • wooden canoe - 2.jpg
    wooden canoe - 2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 755
  • wooden canoe - 4.jpg
    wooden canoe - 4.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 750
  • wooden canoe - 6.jpg
    wooden canoe - 6.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 747
Your boat reminds me of "cartopper" models by other builders. For value, you might want to see what some cartoppers have sold for recently. Looks to be in good shape, and the oars are very nice!

Kathy

Benson and Kathy,

Thank you both for your prompt reply and links or suggestions, which I have reviewed.

It's strange that I cannot find anything online about the manufacturer or boats, and minnow creek (acquirer of Maybury) has gone out of business too! From Benson's link, I suppose the likely build date would be between 1973-1983.

It's a gorgeous boat, sits well in the water (even with me, my wife, and two children), and handles beautifully. I have written the previous owner asking for further detail, but don't think he has much either.

Kind regards,

-Ned

It's strange that I cannot find anything online about the manufacturer or boats, and minnow creek (acquirer of Maybury) has gone out of business too!

A quick look at this address on Google maps indicates that it is a residential area so the builder was probably making them on a part time basis at home. The list at http://wcha.org/legacypages/maine-list.htm shows that there have been hundreds of builders like this in Maine over the years and there isn't much available online about most of them. I was living just up the river in Old Town, Maine during the 1970s and have never heard of them before this either. A quick search for this name at anywho.com shows that B. J., Michael, and Elizabeth Maybury still live at that address and share a 207-989-3878 phone number so they might be able to give you some more information.

It appears that Minnow Creek Boats in Florida took over the Manufacturer's Identification code of MCS from Maybury's Canoe Shop in the 1990s but this does not imply that there was a purchase or any other connection between the two companies. It looks like a nice boat.

Benson

The boat has the lines of a Penn Yan kingfisher. The kingfisher was a very nice 14' square stern hunting/fishing boat with tumblehome in the stern. Weight was about 85 lbs.

Benson,

Thank you for your links. I just spoke with Mike Maybury, who was very helpful and said that he definitely did not make the boat. I've sent him photos and he has offered to review and revert if he has any ideas. I have a receipt that says Maybury Mills with the serial number MCS46477. The number matches your reference above, but after reading Gil's note, I discovered this site http://dragonflycanoe.com/id/pennyan.html , if the serial number is correct it suggests that it could be a Penn Yan Kingfisher Spruce, built in 1946.

Gil,

I searched on the Penn Yan Kingfisher and agree that it looks almost identical to this boat: http://www.berkshiretv.com/1928pennyankingfisher.htm - except the oar locks, which could have been added later.

I very much appreciate the input from each of you. It looks like I might be getting closer to an answer!

Kind regards,

-Ned

Last edited:
Hi Ned,

The seats in your boat are consistent with the way PennYan constructed them in the time when cane wasn't available for seats, which lasted into 1947.

Kathy

Mike Maybury was an Industrial Arts teacher for many years at the Old Town High School. He lived in Brewer for many years. He was a active member of the paddling club in Bangor and was and entered many of the local canoe races. Around the mid 70's to the late 80's he had a small week end business building fiberglass canoes and doing a few restorations on what ever came around. As far as I know he never built any wood or wood canvas canoes or boats but he might of restored a few of them but he would of most likely fiberglassed the hulls!

Rollin

Back