Western Red Cedar for planking?

Dave Nagel

This Year's Obsession
Question,

My Buddy who gave me the Old Town HW I am restoring has offered to cut up some Western Red Cedar from his property for me to use to replace some of the planking. I have seen the board he is offering that he cut on his saw mill and the grain is not very strait. I have some reservations about using it as it is not original, it is sitting outside, it looks like it has been there a couple years without any formal curing, and it is not strait grained.

His offer is very generous. I am sure he would like to see his wood put to good use and he is offering it at my favorite price. I was hoping to get the opinions of some of you experienced canoe-ologists too help me make my discission.

What are your thougts on using this wood on my restoration?

Any help I can get to make this discission is appreciated
Dave

hi

If it is clear, I'd use it. you can resaw and plane it, right? Western Red Cedar sometimes is fussy and prefers small pilot holes for the tacks and hot water to get it to lay where it ought.
actually if it has a couple small knots that are tight it is not too much of a problem as long as you can hide them behind a rib.

Nothing ventured---nothing learned.
Regards,

Use it all the time. Works great for planking and usually will match the aged white cedar with out any staining required. Drill small holes for the tacks and use a steam iron on the curves. With a little stain yellow cedar works well for rib replacement.

Last edited:
Back