thwart question

woodenkayakguy

LOVES Wooden Canoes
would this be an original thwart and any ideas on type of canoe?
canoe2.JPG
canoe.JPG

Last edited:
good answer larry,not quite the one i was looking for though
this canoe is for sale locally and needs canvas
the decks say chestnut,the floorboards look interesting and the thwart/like you say it is original
trying to decide if it is something worth buying for $450

I own a Prospector and an Ogilvy and I don't think its either of those. Seats hung as they are are not Chestnut. Maybe one of their freighters?

The seats and center thwart are not original Chestnut and almost any 18 footer needs more thwarts than one to keep the sides from spreading. Those seats, hung as they are from the ribs, are not even serving as quasi thwarts. So there may be some hull distortion in play. If you eyeball it, measure the depth and look in the inwales for holes where the thwarts and seats used to be.

Pretty sure it is a Tremblay that has been modified. Seat construction, seat mounting, hand thwart, single center thwart fastened with 4 bolts, lack of tumblehome and ribs all look to be Tremblay style. The original crescent shaped decks appear to have been modified to copy early Chestnuts. The center thwart and floor boards are not original. Though not likely, if it still has the original canvas it should be Verolite. More pictures would help.

I'Ve never seen Tapered ribs in a Tremblay. I think it has been modified a lot. Could very well be a good canoe with a little love and attention.

True John, Tremblay never had tapered ribs but they don't appear to be tapered to me??? Need some better pictures.

Back