Three of my favorite things

Dan Miller

cranky canoeist
Staff member
Wood canoe, musical instruments, and a lovely lady (bonus that she can paddle her own canoe).

What is the canoe? Built no later than 1903. Notice the following:

• Wide carry thwart at bow only.
  • Seat cane wrapped around seat frames.
  • Decks not heart shaped.

Early Carleton?

Attachments

• Greetings 1903 1000px.jpg
    Greetings 1903 1000px.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 344
Now that the shock has worn off that i am not on the list, perhaps Doug can settle the age old debate, 'lute or mandolin?'
I note that it has three of my least favourite things, Full cover victorian dress, piety and ugly cushions.:D

Last edited:
Wood canoe, musical instruments, and a lovely lady (bonus that she can paddle her own canoe).

What is the canoe? Built no later than 1903. Notice the following:

• Wide carry thwart at bow only.
  • Seat cane wrapped around seat frames.
  • Decks not heart shaped.

Early Carleton?

I need new glasses.
At a glance I thought the title of the post was "Three of my favorite thongs". :eek:

Did early Carleton canoes have rush seats? The frames and rush look like Gerrish features.

This canoe is the closest thing to "EBW" that I've seen! Seats are like that too... carry thwart is actually mortised-in and purely decorative. I'll attach a picture...

Attachments

• EBW.jpg
    EBW.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 272
Did early Carleton canoes have rush seats? The frames and rush look like Gerrish features.

Don't know... the earliest Carelton catalog I have seen is dated 1905, and it shows standard through-hole caning, but also the wider carry thwart - see attached.

Fred Brodbeck also caned his seats similar to the mystery canoe, and he was building by at least 1897. I've only seen later (open gunwale) Brodbecks, and the decks are similar, but lack the thwart.

EBW's decks are fine, like those shown in the Carleton catalog, but without the heart-shape profile.

Curious!

Attachments

• page-09.gif
    page-09.gif
    46.2 KB · Views: 280
Back