the scoop.

Dave Wermuth

Who hid my paddle?
Here's the scoop on Randy's old canoe, a Penn Yan Rainbow. The canoe has been in the family for years and years. Kathy Klos did some matchmaking and Randy and I have been restoring the canoe. We so far have replaced 11 ribs and spliced all the usual ends that tend to go to dust.

Tomorrow we are taking it and another canoe to a stripper near here and will report back on how the stripping went in case anyone else in SE MI area is looking for a stripper.

Attachments

• 201_2180.JPG
    201_2180.JPG
    369.2 KB · Views: 261
  • 201_2184.JPG
    201_2184.JPG
    384.3 KB · Views: 253
I have found that, as a rule, the first thing to do is strip the old varnish. Second, sand the stripped surface and apply one coat of varnish to the wood/ribs that you are not replacing. Now instal the new wood and ribs. By doing it this way the new wood can easily be stained to match the old newly varnished wood without the stain going into the old wood. Another point to consider is that the varnish remover may affect any glue used to fasten the new wood.

yes.

I am wondering about how the stripper will affect the glue-ups. however, we decided that we wanted to try to give the new ribs the stain/patina of the stripping process. The theory is that the slurry of stripper goo will help the new ribs match. That's my story. I hope it works. We'll let you know.

It depends

We were told that we will only need to sand, stain and varnish. And at the price he's is charging, it better be. When I strip my own I use tsp. I'd ask to be sure.

Back