Suggestions for thing to do - Finger Lakes

John Anevski

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Greetings all --

My wife and I will be plan on spending a day or two at the Finger Lakes next week. Our main purpose is to re-stock our wine closet (it is share with our coats, boots, etc.). Besides wine tasting :D , looking for some suggestions for a short hike or two, and maybe an interesting museum or other interesting historical site.

We were planning on camping and canoeing (there I mentioned canoe, so it can fit in this forum), but have some other obligations, so we can't :( . We'll just be motelling.

Thanks in advance, John

John - what part of the finger lakes will you be in? Depending on location, you have Watkins Glen (both speedway and a beautiful state park, the Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge (Waterfowl migration season is here) the Corning Museum of Glass, the Curtis museum, Cornell, the Finger Lakes Trail and as you have already mentioned, wineries.

If you're at all a history buff, the Seward Home in Auburn is truly exceptional. The Seward family preserved it pretty much as it was in Lincoln's time and it is full of really fascinating items and pictures that Seward collected when he was Secretary of State. The gentleman who does the tours is really knowledgeable and makes a visit well worth while.

If you're carrying a canoe along there are oportunities to canoe the present barge canal as well as old feeders.

That part of New York should be exceptionally beautiful this time of year.

Have fun!

Andy's post also reminded me that the is also the Harriet Tubman house in Auburn and the Womans Sufferage National Historic Park in Seneca Falls. If you are in Auburn, let me know - I can recommend restaruants etc.

Back