Steam bending temperature

dumbquestionsguy

Name says it all, people.
I'm finally at the stage where I would be able to attempt some steam bending this weekend. However, nighttime lows are going to be dipping down just below freezing. Perhaps the fear is unfounded, but what is cedar, saturated in water vapor and curing to a specific shape going to do if it's cold enough for moisture to freeze? Basically, the question is - assuming your shop is unheated, of cousre - is there a minimum temperature required to bend your ribs? I'd hate to have them on the form, and have the water in them freeze before they fully dry/assume their shape. I can only assume that would mean bad things. But perahps, as I tend to do, I am overthinking it...

Hi DQG

It ain't a factor. Any wood has moistrue content, right? Search the forums for threads on steam bending. You'll find good info. Basically, Steam it for an hour per inch. Use a backing strap. Hope for the best. Keep trying.

BUT you're bending ribs so that's even easier. No backing strap needed. And five to ten minutes of steam is all it takes. Too much steam and they break but I do not know why. Too little steam and they also break but you can tell if they are too stiff and steam them a few minutes more. I also have a boiling tank and five minutes in the boiling water is about right. You won't have a problem with overnight freezing.
Regards, Dave.

Hi DQG

I live in Colorado just south of Denver at 6400' and use boiling water to bend ribs, Just replaced four and broke only one (that was a bad piece of grain).
I boil for15 to 20 min. max and can bend the ribs over my knee to just the right curve and install. Work fast and outside temp means nothing.

Back