Spotting around Tack clinches

ArkMaker

Small Boat Aficionado
Hello,
Last night while waiting out the downpours of Tropical Storm Fay and in between being soaked when draining the pool to keep the back yard from flooding, I was able to spend some time removing the seats and carrying yoke and take some before pictures. I am very lucky that I have so far found very little damage that can not be fixed, but I am curious about the staining or would it be bleaching of the wood around on the inside of the ribs where the tacks are clinched.
I attached pictures to give you an idea of what I am talking about. It also shows the fiberglass patch job someone did to a broken plank. Can anyone tell me if these spots (not the patch) are common and will clean up easily when I sand?
Thanks,
Rich

Attachments

• Stain and patch.JPG
    Stain and patch.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 321
  • Staining.JPG
    Staining.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 318
Rich,

The spots are a result of the canoe having been used in salt water. Maybe someone has had better luck, but there does not seem to be much to do about it, the halos resist stains and dyes.

You may also want to pull a few tacks to see how far along the de-zincification of the brass is - the longer they've been exposed to salt water, the crumblier they get.

The glass patch may come clean - start with chemical paint strippers to soften the resin. But if there is a hole under that glass, you may just want to replace the section of plank.

I really need to do a detailed examine so I can buy materials. I initially figured that I was going to have to pull and replace all of the tacks because most of them are loose. I guess I will follow that logic and experiment with staining up under the decks first to get the match. I am not to worried about the fiberglass patch. The piece on the outside of the hull just peeled right off, so I am guessing that whomever did it used polyester resin and not epoxy. I will remove the patch and splice in a new plank.
The tack replacement will take some time and patience. Do you have any good sources for tacks and planking that can be shipped?
Jumping ahead,I am kicking around the idea of replacing the outwales with new as the ends have rot (inwales in good shape), but have read other horror story posts about Old Town service and delivery problems. I am capable of making my own, but finding a source for 16 foot plus mahogany in North Florida may be a problem and I am not sure what shipping costs would be for such long parts. I would sure like to make them out of one piece and not do scarfs.
Rich

Mahogany

Try a millwork or window manufacturing company for long length mahogany. I was able to get 18 foot s4s mahogany at a Atlanta window mfg shop for a very reasonable price.

Gil,
Don't have a clue to whether this will work or not - but up here in Da U.P. at the shoe stores they sell a product to remove salt stains from leather shoes.
I just called a shoe store here and the guy said he doesn't handle because it is basically a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water. So there ya go. Worth a shot.
Denis

Leather, wood, both absorb and retain, so that might just work. I'll give it a shot. Vinegar and water could just work. What I don't understand though is why this wood will not accept stain. The grain seems open and should suck up the stain. Ehhh. I'll try it tomorrow on a couple of tack holes and let you know even though I am a bit away from refinishing the inside. Someone somewhere must have done this before.

I have a canoe with the same issues. I was wondering we are about a year later...how did you end up dealing with the situation. Any success on getting rid of the halos? DId you have to replace a lot of tacks?

Thanks for the input.

Adam

Back