South Carolina Canoeist

SouthernKevlar

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello to all, and thanks for all the help and information that I have gleaned from this forum in the past. I want to give a special shout-out to Benson Gray for his help in logging on and registering for this site; it appears that my internet provider does not play well with the one on this site.

After paddling for over four decades, I have recently acquired my first wood canoe, most probably a Northland Canoe. It is in very nice condition and after years of storage seems to just need a bit of maintenance. As I am slowing down my primary occupation as a full-time woodturner for the last twenty-six years, I have a bit more time on my hands for canoe repair, refurbishment and paddling. Travel will also play into my upcoming plans, including a possible trip to the WCHA Assembly in the future.

To all those that I have garnered information from your past posts and all those who will help me along in the future I want to start my new forum journey with a big "THANK YOU"

David

Welcome David, and I echo your thoughts on the most helpful people, specially Benson, who make this site such a treasure for those of us interested in these beautiful old craft. I'm pleased to hear that you've put yourself in a wood canoe. There will be no turning back as you'll appreciate the soul of these canoes when paddled.
My only point would be to give you a heads up that these canoes don't like to be alone. Suddenly you'll have the impulse to get another, don't fight it but just join the crowd here who own several wood canoes in all kinds of state of repair.
As someone whose worked with wood you'll find great pleasure in restoring old wood, wood/canvas canoes.
Enjoy and keep us in the loop of any projects.
Gary

Welcome to the site, David. Wishing you many happy paddles in your Northland canoe. For your interest, I'm attaching a copy of an article from the local paper discussing how the business succumbed to fire on Jan 25, 1995. Can't tell from the photo but it was a pretty sweet waterfront location on Fairy Lake in Huntsville, Ontario.

Northland Canoe Fire - Feb 2-1995 Huntsville Forester.jpg

That is a sad sight.

I noted a thread from a year or two ago that mentioned that Albert Maw was still doing some canoe repair. I have written him a letter to see if he may still have any Northland decals (stickers?) left for my bow plate, and included the serial number of my canoe and some photos. I hope to hear back from him and will keep the community apprised.

Thank you,
David

Albert Maw is still with us. Now the mystery of my canoe is solved; the wood and fiberglass canoe is a NORTHLAND!

I printed photos of the canoe along with the serial number and mailed them to Albert Maw in a letter along with a request for a Northland deck sticker, if he had any remaining. Last week I got a reply with the deck sticker; it is officially a Northland!

I have been waiting for the temps to get into the 60's, then I will sand and varnish the wood on this canoe. Hopefully that will happen in the next week or two. I am chomping at the bit to try it out, but the keel is bare of varnish and I want to seal it well before I drop it in the lake.

I have looked at a few Wood and Canvas canoes in need of repair to start my learning process, but have not yet found the one that feels right. So far I have come up with several possibilities, but they are either in too nice of shape (not really needing repair) or too far gone for my first attempt at restoration; those bow and stern ends always seem to be missing or rotted away! Plus none were a solo canoe which is my preference. I will continue search.
David

Last edited:
Reactions: MGC
Back