Serial Number request #889 - or is it #688?

Susan Anderson

016.jpg

My brother has recently purchased a wood canvas canoe and we are trying to identify the manufacturer and year it was made.
The front of bow of the canoe was stenciled "44" on one side and "K" on the other side. The stamp number on the inside wood is 889 - or could be 688.
Canoe is dark green, with two wicker seats and is approx 20 feet long.

I appreciate any assistance we can get! Thank you.

That's not much info and unlikely to bring you an ID. We like photos. If you post photos of the bow and the deck, gunwales so that the type of bolt can be seen, interior so that thwarts, seats and rib tips can be seen, then there is a chance. Tom McCloud

There are no known serial number records that low for Old Town or Carleton. The Kennebecs with serial number 688 are 12 and 14 feet long from 1929 and 1916 respectively. Their number 889 went on a 12 and 15.5 foot long ones from 1929 and 1917 respectively. Therefore, it probably isn't a Kennebec. I agree with Tom that more photographs will be required to make any attempt at identifying this one. Good luck,

Benson

The canoe is from Keewaydin, a canoe tripping summer camp on Lake Temagami, ON. Based on the skinny decks, it looks to be a "Cruiser" model. It could be built by one of several Canadian builders, depending on its age (http://www.ottertooth.com/Canoe_pages/canoe_eras_K.htm). It looks too recent to be a Chestnut, so it's likely a Fraser. Dylan Schoelzel, who is sometimes on these forums and is involved with the camp, will likely be able to offer more information.

Wow, how cool is that! I did a quick website search of the Camp and found a picture of #44 canoe on the water. Would love to hear from Dylan if he pops in, for more info on the year and confirmation if this is a Fraser.
Thanks to Paddler 123 for the 411!

Dylan and Emily Schoelzel are both involved with Camp Keewaydin, in the operation of the camp and in maintaining the camp’s fleet of wood/canvas canoes.

Not coincientally, they also build canoes -- they are listed in the WCHA builder directory, which gives their contact information:

Salmon Falls Canoe, LLC
P.O. Box 284
Shelburne Falls, MA 01370
Phone: 413-625-8555
Email: salmonfallscanoe@gmail.com

They can be seen briefly in the middle of the short video trailer at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNNUYDHX_1A taking a canoe hull off the building form, and then at the end paddling with their kids, as the video credits roll -- they are among the featured builders on the full video.

I’m sure they would be happy to talk to you.

Greg Nolan
President, WCHA

Back