Serial # 36689 Old Town

Loghead

I am a newbie to the wooden canoe world but have been an admirer for as long as I can remember. I have recently purchased an Old Town canoe with the serial # 36689 16 and would love to find out more information on it. It is in need of some serious restoration. I plan on restoring it as soon as I can get all the information on new components. I will be displaying it in the rafters of my log home in Michigan. Hopefully you can help me out with the build sheet. I plan on documenting the process and getting some pics on the forum as soon as I can. Thanks in advance.
Dale (Loghead)

Hmmm. The build record is attached, but #36689 appears to be a 17 foot HW model, not a 16'er like your post indicated (the last 2 numbers are the length)

Check again more carefully and see what you find - sometimes numbers get filled in, hidden under gunk or scratched. Check both stems and post your results here.

Scans of approximately 210,000 records were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. Additional information about the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. Please join WCHA or make a tax deductable contribution so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA, http://www.wcha.org/wcha_video.php to watch a 10 minute video about WCHA and our programs and http://www.wcha.org/join.html to join. If you are already a WCHA member, THANK YOU!

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Hey - paddle that boat - you can display it when you get old!:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 36689.gif
    36689.gif
    138.5 KB · Views: 264
By the way, we have a number of very active members in Michigan who would be a valuable resource to you. Stay connected to the forum.

My guess is that you may have the one with serial number 136689 which shows a 16 foot long canoe. The back side of the build record indicates that it had moved to Michigan by 1975 when there was a previous request for a copy of this build record. See if the descripton on both sides of this build record below matches any better or let us know if you find a different number.

Benson

Attachments

• 136689.gif
    136689.gif
    38.3 KB · Views: 270
  • 136689-b.gif
    136689-b.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
Welcome!

Dale--

Check out this link to an article about our president, Ken Kelly, who lives in Michigan (as do I). Note that he displays some canoes in the cabin... and takes them down to use them.

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=6468

There are two Michigan WCHA chapters-- one in the mitten and one in the U.P. And there are good people from all over, here in Forums... always interested in being helpful with someone's project.

Kathy

Doggone, Benson I didn't even think to look there! Guess I'd better get more active doing searches again.

I bet Dale does find a "1" before the number when he looks carefully.

Confused and excited!

Ok, this is getting real interesting. As I stated earlier this is all very new to me but have been an interested and a wooden canoe lover for ever. When my wife and I built our log home we new we had to have a vintage wooden canoe to go with it, so finally I have one to restore. We originally was going to display it but we have since become avid kayakers and will more then likely use it now.
Some of the information I received didnt make sense to me either, like the 17' issue and the canvass is red. It does have sponsons, it does have a back rest and floor rack.
I need to get some pics and post them as soon as I can for you all and I will double check on the #. I cant find any # on the other stem. The number I did find was quite light so I will try harder to see if I missed something.
I will definitely be joining and keeping in contact with all of you throughout this project. I hope you all wont get sick of me asking the rookie questions thow!

Thanks so much for the help so far!

Dale

You were right Benson!

After further review! yes it did have the number 1 in front. I havent had time to take any good pics of the canoe yet and post them but I will be needing some advise on this project for sure. I am not even sure if this thing is worth salvaging, it has some holes and rotted wood thru-out. If nothing else I am sure I will be able to make some shelfs from it. Trust me, I will do whatever I can to restore it if you guys feel it is worth the effort.

Thanks again for the info and looking forward to getting more involved with the forum
Dale

Worth restoring? Usually, if only for the love of the boat. Talk of bookshelves is fightin' words in these parts, mister! (Just kidding, but we have seen some real classics sawn up to accomodate a collection of romance novels!

Here are a few before & after pic of a 1929 OT Otca I got off a firewood pile.

Attachments

• beforesm.jpg
    beforesm.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 251
  • before2sm.jpg
    before2sm.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 249
  • DSCF3594.JPG
    DSCF3594.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 245
  • Bow Sm.JPG
    Bow Sm.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 263
Ooooops!

Ok I promise to never speak of bookshelves again:D. Unless it is to reach for a book of how to restore canoes from it, hows that?
I would love to be able to bring this canoe back to life and I am confident in my ability to learn how to repair it but it will be tough convincing my beautiful wife to allow me to spend a few extra hours in the "Man Cave" every night.

Back