Seliga Canoe - serial number and repair

mammeld

Hello - New to the forum; I recently acquired a Seliga and while googling for information on the canoe I came across this site. Serial number is 1067294. I know at some point he changed the way his serial numbers are read. Is this a '67? Also, the canvas has two 4-5 inch rips, can anyone recommend someone who repairs wood canvas canoes in Minnesota? I'd love to get it repaired and take it out this summer.

Photos attached:

Attachments

• IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_0340.jpg
    IMG_0340.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 412
Check the Builders and Suppliers Directory section on this website... There will be a few choices.
I'm in Northern Wisconsin and restore canoes professionally.... Alex Comb of Stewart River Boat Works is not far from Duluth.... There may be other choices as well.
Good luck
Dave Osborn
Little Lakes Canoe Restoration

The list that Dan mentioned is at http://www.wcha.org/buildsupply/ if you have not found it already. The Seliga with number 10 67 294 is the seventh canoe he built in 1967 and was started in October. It is 17 feet long and was originally painted Seagold Yellow. This was delivered to a private party and was marked as a "Gift" on the build record. Joe's records have been preserved and made available by Dan Lindberg who may be along soon and able to offer more details.

Benson

Last edited:
You may wish to read Jerry Stelmok's book, "The Art of the Canoe with Joe Seliga", which is available from the WCHA Store and elsewhere. Joe is also featured in several back issues of the journal "Wooden Canoe", which are available from the Store as well.

http://store.wcha.org/The-Art-of-the-Canoe-with-Joe-Seliga.html

Journal Articles:

Seliga, Joe
3:Back; 21:3,4 (reprinted 36:10); 22:10;
26:14; 63:5; 89:2; 91:11; 114:Front,4;
119:5; 121:4; 123:5; 126:7; 127:Back;
148:10; 153:9,11
builder profile 18:Front,3-5; 43:17; 125:8-
in memoriam 133:14
serial numbers 79:2;
review of book about 114:14-15

Joe Seliga's canoes were strongly influenced by the Morris canoe, which will be featured at this year's Annual Assembly. I'm hoping some of Joe's boats will show up at the Assembly!

Kathy

mammeld,

Benson described the S/N correctly, I can add that this canoe was originally built for Joe's daughter, who sold it some years ago.

If possible, please post more pics showing the ft deck/decal and the seat/thwart details so I can add them to the record.

In addition to Dave's builder suggestions, if you get to Ely, Jeannie's husband Peter also restores canoes.

If you're in the Cities, and want to talk canoes, I'm in the Northern sub's and always welcome canoe folks.
And consider joining the MN WCHA Chapter, we try to paddle them once in a while.

And stop in at the Midwest Canoe Event, a few canoes will on display again this year.

Dan

missed this in a quick read "is the seventh (and last) canoe he built in October of 1967."
slight correction, "is the seventh canoe built in 1967 and was started in October."

Thanks for all the info, this is great! I'm currently living in New Orleans and the canoe is in MN. I have pictures of the decal (below), but will have to take the others when I'm back in MN - I'll be back this summer for a bit, and hopefully I'll be moving back indefinitely next year. I'd love to come to an event sometime, I'll keep an eye out on these message boards when I'm back in the midwest.

Attachments

• IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 348
:))

Thanks for the post of the deck pic. That's good.
It's an ash deck, in good condition, that has the 2ed style decal on the deck, with a second decal, the 4th or last style, on top of the 1st.

Dan

Back