Seeking Clarification of Penn Yan dinghy's age

davidc

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Folks,
According to Dan's fine index/research about when various wooden boats were made, in particular the Penn Yan dinghy, the first two numbers are specified as the year the given boat was made, so my sailing/rowing dinghy's number, beginning with a S, is 298. Is my understanding correct that the number indicates the boat was made in 1929 and was the 8th in the series? The boat is 10' long, of red cedar and mahogany.
By the way, I'm still trying to locate a rudder for the boat.
Cheers to you and thanks in advance for any assistance.
David

That serial number scheme only works if there are 5 numerals in the serial number, in addition to letter prefixes. If there are only three numbers, more detective work is required.

That serial number scheme only works if there are 5 numerals in the serial number, in addition to letter prefixes. If there are only three numbers, more detective work is required.
Thanks, Dan, albeit I haven't a clue where to begin such "detective work" beyond this forum, you and the Penn Yan website, from all of which I've sought info.
As I've indicated previously, all that is visible under the mast step of the dinghy is "S 298."
Cheers to you and thanks for your knowledgeable assistance.
David

You may need to remove the mast step to narrow it down further. Assuming your boat is the Navy Sailor (model TS or TSS), it would have three letters in the SN up into the mid 1930s. It would then have two letters starting sometime after 1934 but by 1937. The model was dropped from the catalog about when the US entered WW2 (the 1940 catalog is the last it appeared in).

Dan,
I found the SN a couple of weeks ago after I removed the mast step; otherwise I wouldn't have found it. There appears to be a slightly obscured "T" before the "S", but there are only three numbers: 298. Based on the catalog image you sent to me last week, as well as the description of the boat and center-board mechanism Penn Yan touts proudly in its catalog description, I feel certain this is the 10' "Navy Sailer." (Notice PY chose to spell it with an e, instead of "Sailor".).
Cheers to you--and thank you.
David

Back