Seat back plans

wanderlustjake

Beginner Canoeist
I'm looking to build a fan shaped back rest (courting type) for our Old Town. I was wondering of there is anywhere I should look to find plans for them or if someone would be kind enough to share the dimensions? It would be greatly appreciated!

We recently got to briefly canoe in the Black Hills of South Dakota, so now there is great motivation to get ours done and back in the water! One of the back rests would be nice for a middle passenger.

Thank You in advance,

Jason

Jason

I am expecting a package any day now, I purchased an original set of Old Town seat backs from Bay.

I would be happy to supply photos and measurement once they arrive if no one else has by then.

Rick

Rick,

First, congrats on your find. That would be great if you wouldn't mind doing that, it would be a big help, we'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

here is a start on the measurements - I still need to measure some of the angles for you

Hinged in the middle at top and bottom with a 1/8 gap between sides

Top bar
3 inches deep
27 ¾ wide at the top
26 5/8 wide at the bottom
17/64 thick

Bottom bar
2 ¾ deep in middle
1 5/8 deep at end
21 ¾ wide a top
21 wide at bottom
17/64 Thick

Side bars top and bottom bars are inlet into side bars flush to surface.
1.61 wide
9/16 thick
18 ¾ long outside
19 ¾ long inside

Slats (not inset into bars)
.30 thick
.832 wide
About 1 1/16 between (not perfect)

Inner Slats form outside repeat from both sides 12 total

1st 20 ¾ long
2nd 21 ½
3rd 22 ¼
4th 22 ¾
5th & 6th 23 1/4

seatbackrear.jpg

seatbackfront.jpg

seatbackdecal.jpg

Ok, had a monent to look longer and process. They look like they'll be easy to replicate and fairly straightforward. Looks like yours are made out of mahogany? Are the slats tacked or screwed on?

Thank You again!

Ok, had a monent to look longer and process. They look like they'll be easy to replicate and fairly straightforward. Looks like yours are made out of mahogany? Are the slats tacked or screwed on?

Thank You again!

yes - they are mahogany

all tacks except for the hinges. by the way - with the seats unfolded to use those two halves have a slight angle to each other. not straight across like when laid on the floor as in the pictures

Back