Same Newbie - What to Look For in a Used Canoe

Doppler9000

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have done a great deal of reading through boat selection threads and now much better appreciate the longevity of the wood and canvas approach for a canoe. I am looking in the typical online places - is it kosher to post pictures for input?

If not, I am looking at a freighter on which the port to starboard ribs are "telegraphed" through the canvas on the bottom. This seems like a problem with the sheathing, but I have no applicable canoe background to draw on. Is this an issue?

TIA

John

Okay - here are the two pictures...the telegraphing toward the front of the canoe worries me that there may be long ago moisture issues or some other major problem. It seems a very stable fishing canoe...

Attachments

• Boat 1.JPG
    Boat 1.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 273
  • Boat 2.JPG
    Boat 2.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 279
I have never seen such telegraphing, but like you, I would wonder what the story is. I don't understand how ribs could print through the sheathing. Others on the forum may have some ideas, but with the holiday, comments may be slower than usual in being posted.

I would want to physically examine this boat before I bought it, and I pay particular attention to any difference between the ribs and/or planking where the telegraphing has occurred and where it hasn't.

If thats the Kay boat that pops up on Kijiji frequently, they are often fiberglassed and likely its been taken outside for a photo and condensation is causing it to show the ribs, either that or it was left out on a cool night. Cedar canvas boats do that all the time when they're outside, the hull changes temp at different rates whether its just the planking or a ribbed area which is thicker.

the telegraphing toward the front of the canoe worries me that there may be long ago moisture issues or some other major problem.

Patterns like this are common on any ribbed watercraft that has been frequently dragged over a beach, gravel, dock, shore or other rough surfaces when heavily loaded with water, people, gear, or other weights. You will probably be replacing the fiberglass or canvas covering so the only real concern is if the ribs, planking, or other wooden parts have also been damaged in the process. This should be a very stable fishing canoe. Let us know what else you find or if you have other questions.

Benson

Last edited:
Back