Rogers - Princeton, Maine

Fitz

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
In Memoriam
Does anyone know anything about a builder in Princeton, Maine named Frank Rogers? This canoe was reportedly built in 1938 and may be one of three he built. Word has it he was a trapper, but that is about all I know. There are some photos attached. I should have some better photos to post later this week.

Attachments

• 1938Rogers.jpg
    1938Rogers.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 366
  • 1938Rogers2.jpg
    1938Rogers2.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 371
  • Rogers4.jpg
    Rogers4.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 343
  • Rogers3.jpg
    Rogers3.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 372
Rogers Canoe

I LOOKED THRU MY ARCHIVES OF MAINE BUILDERS AND DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING AS THAT IS IN THE GRAND LAKE STREAM AREA TRY BILL SHAMMEL (shamel@midmaine.com )HE BUILDS OFF THE POP MOORE GRAND LAKER FORM AND HAS STUDIED MOST OF THAT AREA'S BUILDERS: I WILL BE GOING TO THE GRAND LAKE STREAM FOLK ART FESTIVAL THIS WEEKEND ILL ASK AROUND AS SOME OF THE LAKER BUILDERS WILL BE THERE IF I FIND ANY TRACE ILL PASS IT ALONG I WOULD ALSO LIKE ANYTHING YOU FIND TO ADD TO MY GROWING HISTORY WITH PICTURES.

Rogers

Thanks F. Harvey. I finally got a good look at this canoe this weekend. I will try and post some better photos and dimensions this evening. It has very interesting features and is rather boat-like. It is very wide with a flat bottom. It is also very heavily built in terms of wales and decks.

Rumor has it that Rogers was a trapper and it certainly looks like this canoe was constructed with that use in mind - large carrying capacity ahead of the stern seat. The canoe is a no frills utility boat/canoe.

Fitz

Back